UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Barningham, Blackbourn Hundred
Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Public Houses in Barningham

BARNINGHAM in 1844, is a scattered village and parish, 6 miles W. of Botesdale, and N. N. E. of Ixworth, has 508 inhabitants, and 1,655 acres of fertile land. John Thurston, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to R. Bevan, Esq., T. Thornhill,Esq., Caius College, Cambridge, and a few smaller owners. Barningham Park estate is mostly in Bardwell parish, adjoining Euston Park, and is the property of the Duke of Grafton, whose family purchased it of the Sheltons, formerly seated there. The Church, (St. Andrew) is a neat edifice with a tower and three bells. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K. B. at 31 9s. 0d., and united with Coney Weston, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. George Hunt, M. A. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1843, for a yearly modus of 967. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1811. The Town Estate consists of several tenements, occupied by poor families, rent free; and 17a. 3b. 34 P. of land let for 34 18s. per annum, which is applied in the service of the church and the payment of salaries to the parish clerk and constable, except 21s. a year which is distributed in bread among the poor, as the rent of about half an acre, purchased with 10 given by William Fuller, in 1622. The Poor's Allotment consists of 20a. let for 21 a year, and was awarded to the poor in lieu of their right of cutting fuel on the open lands. The rents are distributed in coals.
Bloomfield Elias, shoemaker
Bucket Ann & Son, blacksmiths
Catton Charles Walton, machine maker, wheelwright, & blacksmith
Cook Robert, victualler, Swan Inn
Fisor. Thomas, corn miller & merchant, Steam mill
Frost John, bricklayer
Frost Mary, beer seller
Hunt Rev. George, M.A., Rectory
Keen Hannah, schoolmistress
Nickerson James, butcher & shopkeeper
Ruddock Edward, stone mason
Stimson Robert, beer seller
Sturgeon James, gamekeeper
Tydeman Martin, shoemaker
Wells Rev William MA, Curate
Whitehead Philip, manager
Wiseman George, gentleman
FARMERS.
Bishop Joseph
Downing George
Fison Thomas
Mullenger John
Sare Robert
Wright Dd, Hall
Grocers & Drapers
Bishop Joseph (& tailor)
Tydeman Zebdh


Barningham in Kellys 1879 Directory.
Barningham is a village and a parish 8 miles south east from Thetford, 5 south from Harling Road station and 11 north east from Bury St Edmunds, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn Hundred.
The church of St Andrew is an ancient flint building and was restored in 1877. The register dates from 1877.
The Wesleyans and Methodists have chapels here.
Parish Clerk, Martin Tydeman
Post Office, Charles Edward Catton.
National School, Miss Esther Cooper, mistress
Assessor & Collector of Taxes, Charles Edward catton
Carrier to Bury - Elijah Ransom.

Bishop John
Edwards Rev Arthur Wm MA, Rectory
Lingwood Walter, The Lodge
Lockwood Rev Henry John [curate]
Tydeman Mrs

Commercial
Baker James, farmer
Bloomfield Edward, bricklayer
Catton Charles Edward, general smith
Catton James, thatcher
Catton Mary Ann (Mrs), straw bonnet maker
Dennis William, farmer
Easlea Dennis, farmer
Fison James, farmer
Goodchild john, farmer
Holding George, farmer
Lingwood Walter, miller & corn merchant
Lusher henry, blacksmith
Nickerson James, farmer
Nickerson George, Royal George, & agricultural & general engineer
Ransom Elijah, shopkeeper & carrier
Ransom John, farmer & cattle dealer
Raynham Thomas, land steward to Cornell Fison esq, The Hall
Saunders Robert Thomas, grocer
Tydeman Martin, shoe maker
Whittaker Matilda (Mrs), Swan


And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 21:11:17 BST