UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Google maps of Bentley in the Samford Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Bentley Public Houses & Bentley in 1865

Bentley 1855 Whites Directory

BENTLEY is a small pleasant village near Bentley Station, at the junction of the Hadleigh Branch with the Eastern Union Railway; about 5 1/2, miles S.W. of Ipswich, and N. by E. of Manningtree. Its parish contains 434 souls and 2801 acres of land, including 417 acres of woodland. W. J. Deane, Esq , is lord of the manor of Bentley Hall, and the Rev, C. E. R. Keene is lord of the manors of Bentley Church House, Dodnash, and Falstaffs. The Tollemache, Gosuall, Whimper, and other families have estates in the parish. On the banks of a rivulet, 2 miles S.W. of Bentley, is the site of Dodnash Priory, which was a small house of black canons, founded at an early period, by one of the Earls of Norfolk, and dedicated to St. Mary. It was suppressed, and given to Cardinal Wolsey, towards the endowment of his college at Ipswich, in 1524, when it was valued at 42. 18s. 8d. The manor of Bentley, the rectory, the advowson, and two woods, called Portland Grove and New Grove, were held by Trinity Priory, in Ipswich, and were granted at the dissolution to Lionel Tollemache, Esq. The Church (St. Mary) is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 6. 2s. 11d , and now having 20A. of glebe, and a yearly rent charge of 190. 15s. in lieu of tithes. The old vicarage house was exchanged in 1843 for a mansion situated near the church. The Rev. C. E. R. Keene is patron, and the Rev. Benj. R. Keene, incumbent. The tithes were commuted in 1838, when the following yearly rents were awarded to the lay impropriators, viz., 301. 5s. to Mr. Keene, and 85 to Mrs. Deane. In 1716, Tolmache Duke charged the Church House Estate with the yearly payment of 2 for a distribution of bread among the poor parishioners.
Aylward John, gentleman
Bolton Robert, corn miller
Brett Robert, wheelwright, blacksmith, and machine maker
Garnham Henry, vict.. Tankard
Gosnall John, Esq., Bentley Hall
Gosnall John Desborough Walford, Esq.. Park Cottage
Hart Wm. Goodwin, maltster
Hearsom Samuel, shopkeeper
Keene Rev Benj. Ruck, Vicarage
Leggett William, hurdle maker
Long Charles, shopkeeper
MOSS Bartw. vict., Railway Hotel
Rolfe Robert, parish clerk
Smith Frederick, Capel Station Master
Wood Wm., vict., Case is Altered
Yarminski Jph., Bentley Station Master
Youngman John F. corn miller

FARMERS.
Alderton, Wm.
Hart Charles
Hart Wm. G.
Holland John, Dodnash
Lay James
Long Charles
Page Gosnall,
Bentley Lodge
Potter Joseph
Powell, I., bailiff
Wood, Wm.

TRAINS from Bentley and Capel Stations.
POST from Ipswich.


And Last updated on: Monday, 20-Apr-2015 15:47:15 BST