Accurate transcriptions of the 1921 census are being added to the pub history site, starting with London.
Beyton Public Houses & Beyton in
Beyton in the 1879 Kellys Directory
Beyton (or Beighton) is a parish 1� miles south from Thurston station, 78 from London by rail via Welnetham, and 92 via Thurston and Ipswich and 5� east by south from Bury, in the Western division of the county, Thedwestry hundred, Stow union. The church of All Saints is a flint stone building, rebuilt in 1854. The register dates from 1539.
In 1871, the population was 363.
Parish clerk, George Cornish, who resides at Woolpit.
Post & Money Order Office - Jonas Ellis, sub-postmaster
A school Board was formed in 1875 & schools built for 72 children; Mrs Jane Staney Wetherell, mistress.
Police Station - Baldwin, constable.
Cocksedge Mrs, the Grange
Corsbie John Corsbie Brown, Beyton house
Hawkins Rev Herbert Samuel M.A., Rectory
Mallows William James, Manor house
Walpole Walter Thomas, Poplar house
Walpole Wm Sturman, Beyton lodge
|Aldredge John, boot & shoe maker
Austin Frederick, beer retailer
Beyton Brewery Co, White Horse Inn, & brewers, maltsters, coal, timber & wine & spirit erchants (Oliver Laffin, manager)
Clarke George, blacksmith
Cocksedge Edward M L, farmer, The Grange
Ellis Jonas, gardener
Fakes Caroline (Miss), dress maker
FitzSimon Justian S, inland revenue officer
Goodram John, wheelwright
Hart Oliver, wheelwright
Hearn John & Son, corn merchants, millers & maltsters
Hearn John, farmer
Howe Walter, bricklayer
Howlett William, shopkeeper
|Laflin Eliza (Mrs), dress maker
Mainprice Mrs & Miss, school
Mallows Wm James, farmer, Manor house
Melton George, painter
Mills James jun, butcher & cattle dealer
Nobbs Samuel, farmer, Brook farm
Olle Henry, Bear Inn
Snell James C, saddler
Snell William, baker
Walpole William Sturman, solicitor
Waylett George, pork butcher
Waylett James, pig dealer
Winter Charles, birch broom maker