Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
Public Houses ;
Whites 1855 Directory
BURSTALL, a small village and parish, 4 � miles W. by N. of Ipswich, has only 243 souls, and 766 acres of land, belonging to the Alexander family ; J. H. L. Anstruther, Esq., and a few smaller owners, and lying partly in the manors of Lovetofts and Bramford. The manor of Harrolds, in Burstall, was granted to Cardinal Wolsey, as part of the possessions of St. Peter's Priory, in Ipswich. The Church (St. Mary) has a tower and three bells, and is a curacy consolidated with Bramford Vicarage. The great tithes belong to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, but are held on lease by Sir Philip Broke. Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1842 '3. Directory: Benj. Fayers, Thos. Berrett, Hall; John Haggar, (& timber mert.;) John Haggar, jun., Robt. Keene, and Norman Last, farmers; Saml. Garrod, bailiff; James Hardwick, vict., Half-Moon; John Messent, shoemaker: Eliz. Shave, shopkeeper; Chas. Spalding, blacksmith ; and Wm. Wilken, carpenter and parish clerk. The Rev. Hy. Leach, of Ipswich, is the officiating curate.