I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Google maps of Capel St Mary in the Samford Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Capel St Mary 1841 census transcriptions ; Capel St Mary Public Houses & Capel St Mary in 1865

Whites 1855 Directory

CAPEL ST. MARY, a pleasant village in the vale of a smalt rivulet, 7 miles S.W. of Ipswich, and 5 miles S.E. of Hadleigh, has in its parish 649 inhabitants, and 1911 acres of fertile land, including 60A. of wood, 34A. of roads, and the hamlet of Cross Green, on the turnpike, nearly a mile S. of the village. It is in three manors, viz., Boynton Hall, belonging to Queen's College, Cambridge ; and Churchford Hall, and Vaux-and-Jermyn's, of which J. Ansell, Esq., is lord. The Rowley, Goodchild, Godfrey, Brook, and other families own part of the soil, which is mostly freehold. The Church (St. Mary) is a neat structure, with a tower containing five bells, and formerly surmounted by a spire, which was taken down in 1818. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 13. 8s. 4d., has had that of Little Wenham annexed to it since 1787, and was valued in 1835 at 682. The glebe is 22A., and the tithes of Capel were commuted in 1888 for a yearly Rent charge of 528. The Rev. Jph. Tweed, M.A., is patron and incumbent, and has a good Rectory House, with pleasant grounds. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel; and about a mile north of the village is Capel Railway Station, on the Hadleigh Branch of the Eastern Union line. The POST OFFICE is at J. Hardy's; letters via Ipswich.
Alexander Geo. & Mrs., Nat. School
Bennett James, wheelwright and vict., White Horse
Bennett Henry, wheelwright
Cole George, corn miller
Finch Henry, shoemaker
Garnham John, ostler
Hardy Joseph, shopr. & vict, plough
Keeley Osborn, gardener
Lawrence Cook, blacksmith
May Francis, parish clerk
Mannings John, dealer
Ostinelli Santino, tailor
Salmon John, butcher
Skitter Levi, collar and harness maker
Smith John, shoemaker
Tweed Rev Joseph, M.A., Rectory

FARMERS.
Ablewhite Henry, Capel Orove
Aylward Wm. Henry, Vine Farm
Brooke John, high constbl., Crote Green
Cole Thomas
Daking Lydia
Evertt Isc, (& miller) Churchford hall
Ford Wm.
Jacobs Thomas
Garnham Jeremiah, Brook Farm
Hollick Charles John, Bush Farm

SHOPKEEPERS
Gilbert Henry
Haxell Jonathan
Pinner James
Richardson George

RAILWAY TRAINS several times a day to Hadleigh, Ipswich, &c.; Frederick Smith, station master



And Last updated on: Monday, 20-Apr-2015 18:13:10 BST