Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
Public Houses & Chattisham in 1865
Whites 1855 Directory
CHATTISHAM, a village and parish, 5 miles E. of Hadleigh, and S.W. by W. of Ipswich, contains 234 souls, and 713A. 3B. 7P. Of land. The manor and a great part of the soil formerly belonged to Wykes Priory, in Essex, and were granted first to Cardinal Wolsey and then to Eton College, to which they still belong. The remainder belongs to Jno. Kettle Hicks, Esq., of Ipswich, and a few smaller owners. The Church (All Saints) is a plain building, with several neat mural monuments, and was repaired and reseated in 1851. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at �4. 13s. 7d., has 22A. of glebe, and is endowed with all the tithes, except of about 200 acres, which are tithe free. In 1840, the tithes were commuted for �142.10s. per annum. The Provost and Fellows of Eton College are patrons, and the Rev. H. S. Dickinson, M.A., is the incumbent. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1817. The Rev. Thomas Warren, in 1769, left �200, after the decease of his widow, (who died in 1815) to the vicar of Chattisham and rectors of Hintlesham and Copdock, in trust for the education of poor children of Chattisham, at the free school in Hintlesham, where four or five free scholars are now sent from this parish. The legacy was laid out in �212 15s. three per cent, reduced annuities.
Allen Benjamin, farmer
Dickinson Rev Henry Strahan, M.A., Vicarage
Gathercole James, brewer
Jolly Mary Ann, farmer
Lambert James, farmer, Hall
Lambert James, jun., corn miller
Mills Frederick, blacksmith
Moss John, boot and shoe maker
Smith John, parish clerk