UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Chedburgh, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Chedburgh Public Houses & Chedburgh in 1865

CHEDBURGH in 1844, is a pleasant village, near the source of a rivulet, 7 1/2 miles S.W. of Bury, and 10 miles N.N.E. of Clare, has in its small parish 284 souls, and 508 acres of land. Two small portions belong to Mr. Thomas Green and Mr. William Rutter, and the remainder to the
Marquis of Bristol, who is lord of the manor, and patron of the Church (All Saints,) which has a spire steeple, and is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 4. 2s. 8d., and now having 28a. of glebe, and a yearly modus of 150, awarded in 1839. Until about seven years ago, it was united with Ickworth. The Rev. George Ingram is the present incumbent.
The poor parishioners have 4 a year from Sir Robert Drury's Charity, and a poor widow of Chedworth and Rede alternately, is entitled to be placed in the almshouse founded by him at Hawstead. The donations of Henry and Oliver Sparrow, for the rector and poor, were laid out, in the 8th of James I., in the purchase of 3a. 2r. of land at Langham, now let for 3. 10s. a year, of which the rector retains two-thirds, and distributes the remainder among poor parishioners, together with a yearly rent-charge of 10s., left by Anthony Sparrow, out of a mill at Stanstead. In 1815, the Hon. William Hervey left 180, long annuities, to nine annuitants, in sums of 20 each, and after their decease, to his nephew, the Earl of Bristol (now Marquis of Bristol,) in trust, for any object of charity he might think proper. After the payment of legacy duty, this bequest was reduced to 162 a year, long annuities, which were afterwards sold, and the proceeds laid out in the purchase of 4185. 10s., three per cents, reduced annuities, now vested in trust, subject to the annuities payable to the surviving annuitants, for the education of such poor children of Chedburgh, Horningsheath, Ickworth, and the adjoining parishes, as the trustees think proper objects of charity, in the then schools of Chedburgh and Horningsheath, or elsewhere. In 1830, two of the nine annuitants were dead, and their shares had become available to this charity. The trustees in that year paid 16. 10s. for the teaching of 12 children in Chedburgh School, which was built at the expense of the Marquis of Bristol, and applied the remainder of the income towards the support of schools at Rede and Horningsheath.
Bullock Ann, farmer, Hall
Ellington Cornelius, schoolmaster
Elsden John, hoop maker
Frost George, shopkeeper
Ingram Rev George, Rectory
Gooch James, Farmer
Green Thomas, farmer and owner
King James, blacksmith
Orriss Christopher, shoemaker
Porter Mrs Susan
Porter George, thatcher
Pryke Robert, cooper
Ransom Samuel, victualler, Queens Head
Rutter William, grocer and draper
Rutter William, farmer and owner
Thompson John, victualler, victualler, Marquis Cornwallis
Watkinson William, corn miller



And Last updated on: Friday, 01-Jul-2016 00:09:40 BST