UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

CHILLESFORD in 1874 Whites Directory

Transcribed by Colin Ager

CHILLESFORD, near the river Butley, 9 miles N.E. of Woodbridge, and 3 miles N.W. by W. of Orford, is in Plomesgate Union, and Woodbridge County Court district. Its parish has 221 inhabitants, and 1806 acres of land, belonging to Sir Richard Wallace, the lord of the manor, which was given to Butley priory by John Staverton. THE CHURCH (St. Peter), consisting of nave, chancel, aisle, and square tower, with one bell, is a small stone building. It was internally restored about 12 years ago, chiefly at the expense of the present rector; and is fitted with good open benches. The chancel is floored with Staffordshire and inside the communion rails with Minton’s tiles. The three-light window at the east end is filled with beautiful stained glass. The benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 5. 3s. 4d., and now at 355, in the patronage of the Trustees of the late P. Christie, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. C. G. Pickthall, B.A., who has a good residence, erected about 1848. THE NATIONAL SCHOOL was erected in 1857, at an outlay of 200; and is attended by about 30 children, and maintained by the rector and their weekly pence. The poor have 5 yearly from Sir M. Stanhope’s Charity.


Post Office Directory of 1865.



And Last updated on: Tuesday, 21-Apr-2015 23:18:24 BST