UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Denardiston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Denston public houses

DENSTON, or Denerdiston in 1844, is a pleasant village in the vale of a rivulet, 6 miles N. of Clare, has in its parish 339 souls, and 1230 acres of strong fertile land. Denston Hall,, a large neat mansion in a small park, on the south side of the village, is occupied by Samuel Yate Benyon, Esq., but belongs with the manor and nearly all the soil to the Misses Walpole, for their lives, after which the estate will pass to William Pigott, Esq., now only eight years of age, and for whom Earl Powis is trustee. Here was a college or chantry, endowed with 22. 8s. 9d. per annum, and granted, with a manor called Beaumonds, in the second of Edward VI., to Thomas and John Smith, who sold it to William Bird. In 1764, John Robinson was seated here, and owned the estate. The Church (St. Nicholas) is a large ancient structure, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1835 at only 51, and now enjoyed by the Rev. William Suttaby, M.A. Misses Walpole are patrons and appropriators, and support a small free school here. The poor have two annuities of 13s. 4d. each; one given by an unknown donor, and the other by Anthony Sparrow. (See Wickhambrook.)
Benyon Samuel Yate, Esq. Denston Hall
Coote Mary, shopkeeper
Hinds George, victualler, Plumbers' Arms, and Post-office
Pryke George, butcher
Pryke Susan, schoolmistress
Raymond Henry, cooper
Webb Thomas, veterinary surgeon
Went Henry, shopkeeper
FARMERS.
Brown John, Water lane
Gooch Nathan, Church Farm
Metcalf Hy. (steward,) Gomers
Rutter Richard, Elm Farm
Westrup John and Peacock George, Sheepcote


And Last updated on: Friday, 01-Jul-2016 18:57:36 BST