UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Denham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Denham Public Houses

DENHAM in 1844, is a small scattered village, nearly 7 miles W.S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 182 souls, and 1990 acres of land, having a good mixed soil. William Francis Gamuel Farmer, Esq., is impropriator, owner of the soil, lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, (St. Mary,) which has a singularly constructed tower, and is a perpetual curacy, endowed with a yearly stipend of 100, and now enjoyed by the Rev. R. Staphen Stevens, of South Petherwin, Cornwall, for whom the Rev. Edward Bosanquet, of Dalham, officiates. In Edward the Third's time, Denham belonged to the Hethe family. It was afterwards appropriated to some monastic institution, and was granted at the dissolution to Sir Edward Lukemore, of whose son and great-grandson there are handsome monuments in the church, the latter bearing a fine recumbent effigy. The heiress of the Lukemores carried the estate in marriage to the first Lord Viscount Townshend, who died in 1087, and it belonged to his family in Kirby's time. The Hall, which was the seat of the Lukemores, is now a moated farmhouse. On a farm called Denham Castle, is a moated eminence, supposed to have been occupied by the Saxons or Danes. In 1662, Lady Mary Townshend left 100, to be laid out in lands, and the profits thereof to be applied in apprenticing poor orphan children of this parish. The estate purchased consists of a house and about 8a. 1r. 8p. of land, at Cowling, let for 14 a year, which is given partly in apprentice fees and partly in blankets. The poor parishioners have 2 a year out of Denham Hall estate, given by one of the Townshend family.
Barrow Joseph, blacksmith
Drake Maria, vict. Plough
Robinson Francis, gamekeeper
Walker John, carpenter & wheelwright

FARMERS.
Halls Frederick. Edwin, Abbot's Hall
Halls Elizabeth, Denham Castle
Halls James, Denham end Lodge
Halls Joseph, Denham Hall
Sparrow James


And Last updated on: Friday, 01-Jul-2016 18:38:50 BST