UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Depden, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

DEPDEN in 1844, is a scattered village, 9 miles N. by E. of Clare, and S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its fertile parish 345 souls, and 1523 acres of land. The Hall, now a farm-house, was formerly the seat of the Coels, Thornhills, and Mures. William Adair, Esq., is now lord of the manor; but a great part of the parish belongs to the Marquis of Bristol, H. J. Oakes, Esq., Mr. George Steel, Mr. William Isaacson, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Mary) is a small neat fabric, with a tower and three bells, and was new roofed in 1843, at the cost of 150. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 10. 11s. 5d., and now having 23A. of glebe, and a yearly modus of 455, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Martin Lloyd is the non-resident incumbent. Dr. Anthony Sparrow , bishop of Norwich from 1676, till his death, in 1685, was born here. The poor parishioners have a cottage, and 3 1/2a. of land, at Hargrave, given by Dr. Macro, in 1733, and now let for 10 per annum. They have also 2 yearly from Sparrow's Charity, as noticed with Wickhambrook.
Ashman George, beerhouse keeper
Bull George, shopkeeper
Manning Robert, blacksmith
Pryke James, shopkeeper
Shaw John, wheelwright
Waller Rev Rt. P. curate d

FARMERS.
Deadman Mrs
Pratt Catherine
Green James, Depden Hall
Green Richard (and miller)
Isaacson William
Paine Edward
Ransom Jas.
Steel George, Elms

Carriers to Bury, Wed. and Sat., George Ashman and Mrs Pryke


And Last updated on: Friday, 01-Jul-2016 19:14:25 BST