UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Euston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Euston, Rymer, Blackbourn Hundred

Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

EUSTON in 1844, is a neat village, is pleasantly situated on the east bank of the southern Thet, near the confluence of that river with the Little Ouse, which separates it from Norfolk; 4 miles S.E. of Thetford, and 10 miles N. by E. of Bury St. Edmund's. Its parish contains 270 inhabitants, and 3,780 acres of land, including part of the farm of Rymer House, which is 4 miles S. of Thetford, and comprises 15 souls, and about 70 acres of Extra parochial land, and about 55O acres lying in five different parishes. Euston also comprises Little Fakenham, which has a small hamlet on the banks of the Thet, 1 1/2 mile S. of the Church, and was formerly a separate parish, but nearly the whole of it was enclosed in Euston Park, more than a century ago, and not a vestige of its Church (St. Andrew) was remaining in Kirby's time. The Duke of Grafton is lord of the manor, owner of the soil, and occupier of nearly all the parish. He resides generally at Euston Hall, a large mansion of red brick, delightfully situated a little south of the village, in the northern part of a beautiful Park nf more than 1,400 acres, extending more than two miles along the east bank of the river Thet, richly clothed with wood, and stocked with about 700 head of deer. The mansion is surrounded by trees of uncommon growth, and near it the Thet is crossed by a neat wooden bridge, leading to the entrance Lodge on the western side of the river. The scenery around it combines the most delightful assemblage of picturesque objects, and is justly celebrated by Bloomfield, in his "Farmer's Boy." The gardens are extensive, and around them, "woods and groves in solemn grandeur rise." On an elevated situation, in the park, stands the Temple, an elegant structure built by the second Duke of Grafton, in 1746, in the Grecian style, and consisting of an upper and lower apartment, commanding extensive prospects. This building was intended for a banquetting house, and was constructed from a design by the celebrated Kent. Fakenham Wood, in the southern part of the park, is one of the largest in the county, covering no less than 314 acres, and abounding in luxuriant timber. Euston was anciently the lordship of a family of its own name, from whom it descended to the Pattishalls, and from them to Sir Henry Bennet, who, for his adherence to the house of Stuart, was appointed secretary of state by Charles II, and created Lord Arlington, Viscount Thetford, and Earl of Arlington. He built Euston Hall, and left an only daughter, who carried his estates in marriage to Henry Fitzroy, one of the natural sons of Charles II., by the Duchess of Cleveland, who was created by his father Earl of Euston, and Duke of Grafton, in 1675, and died in 1690. He was succeeded by his son Charles, who died in 1757, and was succeeded by his grandson, Augustus Henry, the late duke, who died in 1811. The present Most Noble George Henry Fitzroy, K. G., Duke of Grafton, Earl of Arlington, Earl of Euston, Viscount Thetford, Viscount Ipswich, Baron Arlington, and Baron Sudbury, is son of the late duke, and was born in 1760, and married a daughter of the second Earl of Waldegrave. He is Lord Lieutenant, Vice-Admiral, and Custos Rotulorum of the county of Suffolk, and hereditary Ranger of Whittlebury Forest, in Northamptonshire, where he has another seat called Wakefield Lodge. His eldest son, the Rt. Hon. Charles Fitzroy, Earl of Euston, was born in 1791. Euston Church (St. Genevieve) stands in the park, near the hall, and is a neat structure with a tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 13 7s. 11d., has those of Fakenham Parva and Barnham consolidated with it, in the patronage of the Duke of Grafton, and incumbency of the Rev. James D. Hustler, M.A. The tithes of the two parishes have been commuted for a yearly modus of 696 12s. 6d. The patron and incumbent support a school here for the instruction of poor children.
The Most Noble Duke of Grafton; the Right Hon. Earl of Euston; and Lord Charles Fitzroy, M. P., Euston Hall
Hustler Rev. Jas. D., M. A., Rectory
Cooper George Kersey, Esq., land agent to the Duke of Grafton
Baker William, house steward
Bell Francis, farmer
Gayford George,. farmer, Rymer House
Pretty Richard, victualler, Fox
Wylie Jas. gardener, Little Fakenham
Carr George, park-keeper
Tweed James, stud-groom



And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 21:28:03 BST