UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Flimpton, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Google maps of Flempton in the Thingoe Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

FLEMPTON in 1844, is a small pleasant village in the vale of the Lark, 5 miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 210 souls, and 720 acres of land, nearly all the property of Sir Thomas Gage, Bart., the lord of the manor, which formerly belonged to Bury Abbey, and was granted at the dissolution to Sir Thomas Kitson. The Church, (St. Catherine) is a small neat structure, which was repaired and partly rebuilt in 1839, at the cost of 2,000, after being long in a ruinous condition. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 5, has that of Hengrave annexed to it, and the joint benefices are now worth about 400 per annum. The Rev. Richard Samuel Dixon is patron and incumbeut. The Poor's Land consists of 3 roods, in Rattlesden, let for 30s, and purchased with 10 left by William Firmage, in 1599; and about 3 roods in Flempton Field, let for about 25s. per annum. The poor have also a coat or gown yearly, and an annuity of 2 from Lady Kitson's Charity. (See Hengrave.) In 1817, the Rev. Carter left 200 three per cent. Consols, in trust, to pay one-third of the dividends to the parish-clerk, and to apply the remainder in schooling poor children.
Ashen William, tailor
Blyth Robert, wheelwright, &c.
Chenery John, shoemaker
Cooke John, farmer, Flempton Hall
Dixon Rev. Richard Samuel, Rectory
Frost George, beer seller
Herrington William, shopkeeper
Partridge James, parish clerk
Fetch Edward, blacksmith
Wood Robert, corn miller



And Last updated on: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2016 20:39:15 BST