I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Flixton, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Flixton Public Houses

FLIXTON in 1844, is a small village, pleasantly situated in the vale of the Waveney, 2 1/2 miles S.W. of Bungay, has in its parish 192 souls, and 1762a. of land. Here was a Nunnery of the order of St. Augustine, founded by Margery, widow of Sir Bartholomew de Creke, about the year 1258. She endowed it with the manor of Flixton. It was dissolved by the second bull of Pope Clement VII., in 1528, and intended for Cardinal Wolsey, towards the endowment of his college at Ipswich; but he declined it, Henry VIII. granted it to John Tasburgh, who received it from Elizabeth Wright, the last prioress, in 1532, when it was valued at 23. 4s. 1d. per annum. Its site is now occupied by a farm-house, called the Abbey. Flixton Hall belongs, with the manor, and nearly all the parish, to William Adair, Esq., but is the seat of Sir Robert Shaflo Adair, who was born in 1763, and created a baronet in 1838, It was built in 1615, and was originally surrounded by a moat, which was filled up many years ago. It is in that style of architecture which has been designated "I nigo Jones's Gothic." It has a noble entrance hall, and elegant staircase. Its apartments are spacious; and on the south side was an open colonnade, now closed up, and converted into separate rooms. The park comprises 300 acres, and is well wooded and stocked with deer. The Tasburghs were long seated here, and from them the estate descended to the Wyburns, of whom it was purchased by the late William Adair, Esq. The Church (St. Mary) is an ancient fabric, with a tower and three bells, but its chancel is an ivy-mantled ruin. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at .6, and in 1835 at l-i0. Win. Adair, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. George Sandy is the incumbent, and has a neat parsonage house, built in 1843. He is also incumbent of the rectories of Southelmham All Saints and St. Nicholas. The Town Lands, &c. comprise a house and 10 acres, let for .22, and two pieces of land, the precise situation and extent of which are unknown ; but the yearly sums of 30s. for one, and 10s. for the other, have been paid for them as far as is known. The rents are applied in the service of the church, and other public uses. In 1782, Wm. Adair, Esq., bequeathed 300 three per cent, consols in trust, to pay the dividends yearly for the relief of the poor of Flixton, Homersfield, and Soutlielinhain St. Cross. He also left .700, and as much money as should be found in his charity hag at the time of his death, to be invested at interest, and the yearly produce thereof to be dispensed by the successive owners of the testator's estate at Flixton, in si.eh charitable uses as they should think proper. The .700, with 320. 13s. 7d. found in tha testator's charity bag, was laid out in the purchase of 1704. 13s. 8d. new South Sea Annuities. The dividends, 51. 2s. 8d. a year, are applied in gratuities to proper objects of charity, in the purchase of coals sold to the poor at reduced prices, and in the support of schools for the education of poor children in the three above-named parishes. Adair Sir Robert Shafto, Baronet, Flixton Hall
Adair Alex. Shafto, Esq. Hall
Adair Hugh A. Esq. Hall
Beaumont John, vict. Buck
Ling James, blacksmith
Sandby Rev George, vicar of Flixton, and rector of Southelmham, All Saints
FARMERS.
Beaumont John
Beaumont William
Brook Joseph
Cooper John
Howard Charles, Abbey Farm
Gower Sparling
Read John



And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 18:09:53 BST