I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Framlingham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Framlingham Public Houses


FRAMLINGHAM in the White's 1830 Directory

Transcribed by Colin Ager

Is a market-town, in the parish of its name, and in the northern extremity of the hundred of Loes; 87 miles from London, 18 miles from Ipswich, and eight from Debenham; pleasantly situated on an eminence, near the source of the river Ore. The town is of great antiquity – its name being composed of the Saxon words Fremdling and Ham, incaning the habitation of strangers or foreigners. Its principal ornaments are the church, and the ruins of its ancient castle; the latter situated on a clay hill, on the north side of town, having on the west side a mere or marsh, formerly a lake. Of the outer wall, yet standing, it has been justly remarked that it looks more like a castle than the ruins of one; it is supposed to have been erected by Redwald, the most powerful King of the East Angles. Its form is rather an irregular curve, approaching to a circle; the walls are 44 feet high and 8 thick, flanked with 13 square towers, 14 feet higher than the ramparts; and these together with the battlements, remain in sufficient perfection to afford a tolerable idea of the whole. It was one of the seats of St. Edmund, the King and Martyr; and to this fortress he fled, in the year 870, from the invading Danes – from whence (being hard pressed, and without hopes of succour,) he endeavoured to escape, but was overtaken in his flight, and put to death by these invaders. To this castle Queen Mary, of ruthless memory, retired on the death of her brother, Edward VI.
The church is a stately and capacious structure, built entirely of black flint, with a steeple 93 feet high, containing a clock, chimes, and eight bells. The interior is kept in excellent condition; and there are many very curious monuments, of great antiquity and interest, in a fine state of preservation; some of these are to the memory of the Earls and Dukes of Norfolk, and others of the nobility. The charities belonging to Framlingham are, some alms-houses founded by Sir Robt. Hitcham, and others by Thomas Mills; a free-school founded by the before-named Sir Robert Hitcham, for 40 poor children, and to this establishment is attached a fund for apprenticing the boys. The market is held on Saturday in a spacious area, in the centre of which stood an ancient market-cross, taken down some years since; the annual fairs are held on Whit-Monday and the 10th of October. The parish contained, by the returns in 1821, 2,327 inhabitants.


And Last updated on: Thursday, 28-May-2015 19:46:15 BST