I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Freston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Google maps of Freston in the Samford Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Freston 1841 census transcriptions ; Freston Public Houses ;

Whites 1855 Directory

FRESTON, a small village, upon a pleasant acclivity, on the western side of the broad river Orwell, 3 miles S. of Ipswich, has in its parish 250 souls, and 1413A. 3B. 4P. of light but fertile and well-wooded land. John Berners, Esq., is lord of the manor of Freston Hall, within which is the small manor of Bonds, of which Sir Philip V. Broke is lord. The other principal owners of the soil are the Rev. A. Bond, Lady Harland, W. Rodwell, Esq., and E. B. Venn, Esq., of Freston Lodge, a large and handsome mansion, erected in 1840, on a bold eminence, commanding a fine view of the Orwell. Freston Hall, with the manor and advowson, was anciently vested in a family who took their name from the parish. The Frestons were seated here from the time of Henry III. till that of Henry VIII., when the manor passed to the Latimers; but in 1590, it was held by the Goodings, of Ipswich, and afterwards by the Wrights, who separated the manor and advowson, and sold their possessions to the Thurston, Tarver, and other families. Of the ancient Hall, a fine antique TOWER still remains, near the bank of the Orwell. This tower is a strong quadrangular brick building, 6ix stories high, containing as many rooms, one above another, tut only 10 feet by 12, with a polygonal turret at each angle, terminating in pinnacles.; and a winding steeple staircase, projecting from the eastern side, and terminating in an octagonal lantern. The best apartment appears to have been in the fifth story, which is loftier and has larger windows than the rest, and was probably hung with tapestry, as small nails left in the wood seem to indicate. There is but one fire-place, which is on the ground floor, and even that seems to be of modern construction, and to have no chimney; hence it is probable that this building was rather an occasional pleasure retreat, or watch tower, than a place of permanent habitation. As it is not noticed in any of the descriptions of the hall in the time of the Frestons, this tower was probably erected by one of the Latimers. Except a farm-house, at a short distance, there is no trace of any buildings near it. The Church (St. Peter) is a neat structure, with a tower at the west end. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 6. 7s. 6d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. A. Bond, who has a neat and commodious Rectory House. The glebe is 23A. 5P. ; and in 1841, the tithes were commuted for a yearly rent of .376. About 45 years ago, several Anglo-Saxon coins were found here. POST via Ipswich.

Bond Rev Alfred, rector, Rectory
Burch John, blacksmith
Coulson Charles, parish clerk
Hare George, farmer
Hunt John, builder
Manning John and Wm. farmers
Head Aaron, vict. Boot Inn
Sage Benj. farmer, Woods Farm
Sage Joseph, joiner, Post-Office
Sage Thomas, shopkeeper & carpenter
Venn Edward Beaumont, Esq. Lodge
Waterman Henry, farmer
Williams Hannah, schoolmistress



And Last updated on: Thursday, 28-May-2015 19:48:39 BST