I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Gorleston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Pubs in Gorleston

Gorleston 1865 Post Office Directory


GORLESTON is a suburban parish, in the borough of Great Yarmouth, and incorporated hundreds of Mutford and Lothingland, county court district of Great Yarmouth, East Suffolk. The village, which is about 2 miles from Yarmouth, is large, and pleasantly situated on a hill, overlooking the sea and the river Yare. This parish was added to the borough of Great Yarmouth by the Parliamentary and Municipal Reform Acts of 1832 and 1835. The parish includes the hamlet of SOUIHTOWN, which was anciently a separate parish, and was annexed to the borough of Great Yarmouth in 1081. The parish is divided into two manors, viz., the paramount manor of Gorleston, of which Sir Samuel Morton Peto, Bart., M.P., is lord; and the small manor of Bacons, which is held in fee by the trustees of the late Samuel Palmer.Esq. The largest portion of the soil and buildings belong to the Earl of Lichfield, but there are various other owners. Nearly the whole of Gorleston commands a view of the sea, as well as of the river Yare and the South Denes of Yarmouth, where the race-course is situated, and on which is the Norfolk Column, in memory of Lord Nelson. The church of St. Andrew is a large ancient
edifice, consisting of thatched nave, chancel, and side aisles, and a fine square tower 90 feet high: in the interior is a fine brass in memory of one of the Crusaders: the font, which is very curious and ancient, had long been covered with plaster; but on cleaning it in 1842, it was found to be richly painted and gilded, and untarnished, but a great part of the sculpture destroyed. The living is a vicarage, value 381 per annum, in the patronage of the Rev. Alexander Digby Campbell, M.A., and held by the Rev. Francis Upjoon, M.A. Here are places of worship for the Independents, Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists. In the village is a large National school for boys, girls, and infants, built in 1840. The Gorleston and Southtown Gas Works were erected in 1854, at a cost of 4,320, in shares of 10 each. Here Is a Working Men's Institute and Reading Room, which was opened December 1, 1862; also a sick and indigent society, a lying-in society, a clothing club, &c, which are liberally supported. According to the census of 1861, the parish contained a population of 4,472, and an area of 1,931a. lr. 11p., of which the hamlet of Southtown comprises 596a. 2r. 23p. and 1,714 inhabitants.
[For list of names see YARMOUTH, Norfolk.]


Gorleston becomes part of Norfolk by about 1891, and this is where the Pubs will be listed. More to follow ...

Red Lion, Backway

More Pubs in Gorleston

And Last updated on: Thursday, 28-May-2015 19:57:44 BST