UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Great Bradley, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Great Bradley Public Houses

BRADLEY (GREAT) in 1844, is a scattered village, near a small rivulet, 6 miles N. of Haverhill, and 8 miles S. of Newmarket, has in its parish 2204 acres of land, and 544 souls. It had formerly a fair, on September 29th, and was anciently held by the Somerie family, barons Dudley. Lord Dacre is now lord of the manor and patron of the Church, (Saint Mary,) which is a neat structure, with a tower and three bells, and was new pewed in 1841. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 17. ls. 5d., and in 1835 at 407, is enjoyed by the Rev. William Parr Wilder, who has 52a. of glebe, and a yearly modus of 600, awarded in 1843. A large portion of the parish belongs to St. John's College, Cambridge, C. Lamprell, Esq., Mrs. Soame, Mr. D. R. Haylock, and several smaller proprietors. The present assessed yearly rental of the parish is 2242.
Barker William, wheelwright & victualler, Fox and Goose
Crick Edward, cooper
Danby Philip, joiner and builder
Lawrence James, tailor
Nice Hanslip, corn miller
Packman William, beerhouse keeper
Pettit Mr Richard
Plumb Stephen, shopkeeper
Potter Samuel, shoemaker
Rowling Ambrose, bricklayer
Simperingham Mrs Margaret
Wakeling Joseph, blacksmith
FARMERS.
Bailey Samuel
Dowson John
Day William (and corn merchant)
Haylock Daniel Robinson
Josling John, steward to St. John's College
Long Hanslip
Nice William (& brick & tile maker)
Smith George (and corn merchant)



And Last updated on: Thursday, 30-Jun-2016 23:53:47 BST