UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Great Saxham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Google maps of Great Saxham in the Thingoe Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Great Saxham Public Houses

SAXHAM, (GREAT) in 1844 is a small scattered village, 5 miles W. by S. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 271 souls, and 1,417 acres of land, now valued at 1,674 2s. 6d. per annum. It belonged to Bury Abbey, and was granted in the 33rd of Henry VIII, to Sir Richard Long and his wife. For several descents it was held by the Eldred family, one of whom (John,) built a mansion here, which was called Nutmeg Hall, in the reign of James I. In 1641, his son, Revet Eldred, was created a baronet; and in 1750, one of his descendants sold the estate to Hutchinson Mure, Esq., who greatly improved and embellished the domain. The old Hall was accidentally burnt down in 1779, and a new one erected north-west of it, from a plan by Mr. Adam. This modern mansion is a large and handsome building, in a beautiful park, and is the seat of William Mills, Esq., lord of the manor, owner of the soil, and patron of the rectory, valued in K. B. at 11 13s. 11d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Mills, who has a yearly modus of 369, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The Church, (St. Andrew) an ancient structure in the park, has a tower and three bells, and two beautiful painted windows, inserted by the late T. Mills, Esq., in 1815. In the chancel is a bust of John Eldred, who travelled to the Holy Land, Babylon, &c, and died in 1632, aged 80 years. Under this bust is a raised monument, with a black marble slab, on which, neatly inlaid in brass, is the figure of a man, with a ruff and furred gown, well engraved, with the arms of Eldred, Revet, and a long inscription. The parish has a barn, two cottages, and about 12 a. of land at Whepstead, let for 11 10s. a year, and purchased with the following benefactions, viz:- 100 given by Lady Ann Eldred, 50 given by the Rev. Samuel Edwards, and 10 given by John Potter, to purchase lands for the equal benefit of the minister and the poor. An allotment of about two acres of land, at Fornham-All-Saints, was awarded in lieu of other land left to the poor of Risby, by the Rev. Ralph Weld, and is now let for 4 a year. The poor have also two yearly rent charges of 2 each, given by Holofernes Allen, in 1605 and 1610; one of 1 3s. 4d., given by Edmund Friend, in 1604, and another of 6s. 8d. left by Simon Pitts, in 1641.
Borley Robert, victualler, White Horse
Cockrill Robert, farmer
Frost John, butcher
Dennis William, farmer, Cobs-Hall
Hammond Fras. wheelwright, &c.
Mills William, Esq. Saxham Hall
Robinson Daniel, horse dealer
Scholefield Rev. Richard, curate
Syer William, blacksmith
Taylor William, shopkeeper
Silverstone Samuel, land agent



And Last updated on: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2016 22:48:08 BST