I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Great Thurlow, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Great Thurlow Public Houses

THURLOW, (GREAT) in 1844, is a pleasant village in the vale of a rivulet, adjoining Little Thurlow on the south, and 4 miles N.N.E. of Haverhill, and 8 miles N.W, by W. of Clare. Its parish contains 431 souls, and 1028 acres of fertile land. Lady Harland is lady of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil, and the remainder belongs to W. H. Crawford, Esq., and the Jonas, Traylen, Golding, Snazell, and a few other families. Here was a small Hospital, or free chapel, dedicated to St. James, founded in the reign of Richard II,, and subordinate to the foreign hospital of Haut-pays, or de alto passu. In the reign of Edward IV., it was valued at 3 per annum, aud granted to the Maison de Dieu, in Cambridge, now part of King's College. The lordship formerly belonged to John King, Esq., then to the Waldegraves, and afterwards to Sir Cordel Firebrace, Bart., who sold it to James Vernon, Esq. Lady Harland, its present possessor, is the heiress of the Vernons, and wife of Sir Rt. Harland, Bart. The Vernons were long seated at the Hall, a neat mansion in a pleasant park, now occupied only in the shooting season, by Joseph Alfred Hardcastle, Esq. The Church (All Saints) is an ancient fabric, with a tower and five bells. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at 10. 11s. is endowed with the great tithes, and has now a yearly modus of 518, awarded in 1840. Lady Harland is patroness, and the Rev. William Wayman, M.A., incumbent. Here is a small Independent Chapel, built in 1835. The poor parishioners participate in some of the charities, noticed with Little Thurlow and Great Wratting. A fair for sheep and toys is held here on October 10th. The Thurlow family derive their name, and the title of baron, from this parish.

Brand George, poulterer .
Bridgman Samuel, blacksmith
Chapman John, wheelwright
Daniels James, grocer and draper
Farrow Robert, beerhouse keeper
Gardner Thomas, miller and maltster
Kettle John, tailor
Maulkin Robert, gentleman
Payne John, bricklayer
Rollinson Thomas, saddler, &c
Rose Richard, victualler, Crown
Selbie Rev William (Independent)
Snazell William, joiner and builder
Talbot Samuel, baker
Thompson Samuel, joiner
Wayman Rev William, M.A.Vicarage
Woolard Samuel, shoemaker
Farmers, (+ are Owners.)
Bridgmau George, and maltster
+ Golding George
Gardner Thomas
+ Jonas Samuel, West end
Pearl James, Harlica
Pearl Bands, Wadgells
+ Snazell William
+ Traylen Lucy and Christopher Joseph, Sawtey Green
Wakelin Barsham, Westend



And Last updated on: Saturday, 02-Jul-2016 00:47:17 BST