Accurate transcriptions of the 1921 census are being added to the pub history site, starting with London.
Harleston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Suffolk Villages Home Page |
Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds
|Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
Post Office Directory of 1865.
Harleston 1865 Post Office Directory
HARLESTON is a parish of scattered houses, in the
hundred, union, county court district and rural deanery of
Stow, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich,
West Suffolk, 3 miles north-west from Stowmarket station.
The church, a small neat building, consisting of nave and
chancel, was thoroughly restored in 1860. The living is
a rectory, valued in 1835 at �175 per annum, in the gift
of Robert John Pettiward, Esq., and held by the Rev.
Matthew James, farmer, The Hall
Moyes Robert, farmer
Charles Terry, M.A. Robert John Pettiward, Esq. (who is lord of the manor), and
C. Tyrell, Esq., are the principal landowners. The population in 1861 was 65;
the parish contains 615 acres of land.
RUSH GREEN is half a mile north.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Armstrong.
Letters received through Stowmarket, via Haughley. Stowmarket is the nearest
money order office
Peddar Spencer, farmer
Woodward Henry, farmer