UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Hawkedon, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Hawkedon Public Houses

HAWKEDON in 1844, is a scattered village on a pleasant activity, near a rivulet, 6 mile N.N.E. of Clare, and 9 miles S.S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 339 souls and 1210 acres of land. It is in two manors, viz., Hawkedon Hall, (a neat mansion,) the seat and property of J. Frost, Esq.; and Thurston Hall, of which H.J. Oakes, Esq., is lord. Swan Hall, another ancient mansion, now a farm-house, belongs, with a large estate, to G. W. Poley, Esq., and was formerly a seat of the Abbot family. J. H. Frere, Esq., Jno. Hammond, Esq., the Rev. J. Maddy, the Rev. A. A. Colvile, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 7. 10s., and in 1835, at 215, but now having 45a. acres of glebe, and a yearly modus of 400, awarded in 1841. Henry James Oakes, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. George John Haggitt, M.A., of Bury, is the incumbent. The poor have nearly 2a. of land at Stansfield, let for 30s. a year, and given by a Mr. Shaw. They have also 10s. a year, from Anthony Sparrow's Charity, (see Wickhambrook,) and 20s. a year, given by a Mr. May, out of a farm at Denston.
Adams John, shopkeeper
Frost Jno. Esq. Hawkedon Hall
Game James, shoemaker
Hanhury Rev. Arthur D. C.L.curate
Ward Susan, victualler, Queen's Head
Webb John, blacksmith

FARMERS.
Brown Thomas
Hibble James
Hammond James, Langley farm
Moore Simon, Swan Hall
Mortlock Thomas, Gallowgate
Sparrow George, Hungerdown Hall
Tilbrook William, Chrislands
Wiseman Jas. Thurston Hall
Carrier, William Taylor, to Bury Tues. Wed. and Sat.




And Last updated on: Friday, 01-Jul-2016 23:06:22 BST