I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Hepworth, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Hepworth, Blackbourn Hundred

Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

HEPWORTH in 1844, is a pleasant village nearly 5 miles N. E. by N. of Ixworth, and W. by S. of Botesdale, has in its parish 582 souls, and 1,640 acres of strong loamy land, lying in two manors, called Reeve's Hall and North Hall. Thomas Thornhill, Esq. is lord of the former, and the Rev. Thomas Methwold, of the latter; but part of the soil belongs to the Guildhall Feoffment of Bury St. Edmund's, and the Allen, Wright, Randall, and a few other families. Gilbert de Blund held both manors at the Domesday Survey. The Church (St. Peter) has a tower and five bells, and the benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K. B. at 13 17s. 3d., and in 1835 at 498. The patronage is in King's College, Cambridge; and the Rev. E. R. Payne is the incumbent. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. The Town Estate has been long vested in trust, for the common use and profit of the parishioners, and consists of a house and 44a. of land, let for about 63 a year, of which 1 17s. is distributed in clothing, on account of Asty's charity, and the remainder is applied in the service of the church; but if any surplus remains it is added to the poor rates. About 17 acres are old enclosure, and the rest was allotted at the enclosure of the common and open lands, in 1817. A yearly rent charge of 20s., out of an estate here, now belonging to Mr. Nunn, was left by William Brundish, for distribution in clothing. The following benefactions for the poor, viz :- 10 given by William Asty, 14 by Catherine Asty,and 10 by John Reeve, were laid out in 1711, in the purchase of a house and half an acre of garden ground, which are occupied, rent-free, by poor families. The Poor's Allotmeat, 14a. Or. 23p., was awarded to the poor parishioners, at the enclosure, in lieu of their right of cutting fuel on the commons. It is let for about 34 a year, and the rent is distributed in coals, &c.
Bishop William, maltster & corn merchant
Borrows Mary, shopkeeper
Clarke William, vict. Duke of Marlbro'
Cotton Peter, beer housekeeper
Good Thomas, wheelwright
Mullenger Henry, grocer, draper, and butcher
Payne Rev. Edward R. Rectory
Rainbird William, beer house
Seaman John, blacksmith
FARMERS.
Allen William
Bishop Samuel
Buckley William
Clears Robert
James Henry, Reeve's Hall
Long George
Olden Thomas
Nunn John; Thomas; & Mrs. P.
Wright, David
Walton James


Hepworth Public Houses



And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 21:32:45 BST