Hinderlclay, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Suffolk Villages Home Page |
Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds
|Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
Hinderclay, Blackbourn Hundred
Hinderlclay Public Houses
HINDERCLAY in 1844, is a scattered village, 2 1/2 miles W. by N. of Botesdale,
and 8 miles N.E. of Ixworth, has in its parish 387 souls, and about 1,400 acres
of land; formerly the lordship and demesne of the abbot of Bury St. Edmund's, by
gift of Earl Ulfketel. It afterwards passed to the Bacons and Holts. George St.
Vincent Wilson, Esq. is now lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil
belongs to C. Heigham, Esq., T. Thornhill, Esq., and the Lock, Knott, Mark,
Gobbett, Woolsey, and other families. The Church (St. Mary) is a leaf structure
with a tower, and six bells. It was thatched till 1842, when it was covered with
blue slate. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at �9 19s. 4d.,
and in 1835 at �408. The tithes were commuted in 1843, for a yearly rent of
about �400. George St. Vincent Wilson, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Thomas
Wilson, incumbent. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. Mr. Thomas Taylor, of
this parish, is now (1843) a hundred and one years of age, and enjoys all his
faculties. The Town Estate, nearly 8a., is let for about �20 a year, and the
rent is applied in the service of the Church. A small school for poor children
is supported by the rector.
Crack Joseph, tailor
Doe Thomas, carpenter
Dover Mr. John
Flowerdew John Symonds,land agent, Hinderclay Hall
Fortis George, parish clerk
Gardener Alfred, bricklayer
Lock Joseph, corn miller
Mark Henry, victualler, Six Bells
Martin George, carpenter
Wilson Rev. Thomas, Sectary
Flowerdew J. S.
Robinson T. jun.
Robinson T. sen.
London Pub history
Isle of Wight Pubs