UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Homersfield, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Homersfield Public Houses

HOMERSFIELD in 1844, is a pleasant village, on the south bank of the river Waveney, 5 miles S.W. of Bungay, and 3 1/2 miles E.N.E. of Harleston, has in its parish 291 souls, and 981 acres of land. William Adair, Esq., is lord of the manor, owner of most of the soil, and patron of the rectory, valued in K. B. at 5. 6s. 8d., and in 1835 at 360, with that of Southelmham St. Cross annexed to it. The Rev. Courtenay Boyle Bruce is the incumbent. The tithes of Homersfield have been commuted for 143, and those of St. Cross for 220. 10s. per annum. The Church (St. Mary) is a small fabric, with a tower and three bells. A market and fair here were granted to the Bishop of Norwich, in the second of Henry III., but they were obsolete several centuries ago. The Poor's Land, 2 1/2 a , was given at an early period by Sir Nicholas Howe, and is let for 2. 10s. per annum. The small manor of Lymborn, in Homersfield, was held by the nuns of Bungay, and was granted by Henry VIII. to the Duke of Norfolk, and by Edward VI. to John and Thomas Wright. Sir B. Gaudy died seized of it in 1569. Directoryy :—
Samuel Bailey and George Borrett, shoemakers.;
Horace Beaumont and Edward B. Marsh, farmers;
Eliz. Church, vict., Swan;
Joseph King, grocer and draper;
and Thomas Smith, parish clerk.



And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 18:13:42 BST