UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Horningsheath, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Google maps of Horningsheath in the Thingoe Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Horningheath Public Houses

HORNINGSHEATH, commonly called HORRINGER, is a neat and pleasant village, 2 miles W. S. W. of Bury, on the east side of the extensive and beautiful park of Ickworth. Its parish contains 597 souls, and 1,780 acres of fertile and well wooded land, including the greater part of HORSECROFT hamlet, which is a mile E of the village, and has 22 inhabitants in this, and 12 in Nowton parish. Horningsheath was formerly in two parishes, but they were consolidated in 1548, after the church of Little Horningsheath had been demolished. The manor was held by Bury Abbey, and the abbot used Little Horningsheath Hall as one of his pleasure houses. The manor and advowson were afterwards held by the Davers, and are now held by the Marquis of Bristol, together with a great part of the soil; but Horsecroft is mostly the property of William Bacon Wigson, Esq.; and A. J. Brooke, Esq., of Brook House, (a handsome mansion here,) J. F. Dove, Esq., of Hopleys Cottage, (half a mile east of the village,) G Brown, Esq., and several smaller owners have estates in Horningsheath. Among the large Oaks in the parish, is one girt by a bench, on which 20 men may sit. The Church (St. Leonard,) is a small neat structure with a tower and six bells, and was new pewed in 1818, at the cost of A. J. Brooke, Esq. The organ was given by the rector, in 1816. The rectory, valued in K. B. at 13 3s. 8d., has now a yearly modus of 500, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. The Marquis of Bristol is patron, and the Rev. Henry Hasted, M. A., of Bury, is the incumbent. The Free School was built by the Marquis of Bristol, and is attended by from 40 to 50 poor children, who are nominated by the rector, and are instructed by a schoolmistress, in reading and writing, and the girls also in knitting and sewing. The mistress has the use of a small garden, and receives about 16 a year from the Hon. William Hervey's Charity, (see Chedburgh;) a yearly rent charge of 6, left by Samuel Batteley, in 1714, out of land at Denston; and 6 4s. as the rent of two cottages left by William Godfrey, in 1724. A few poor boys are educated by subscription, at another school. Two poor widows of the parish have 6 yearly from Sache's Charity. A double cottage has belonged to the poor parishioners from time immemorial, and is occupied rent free, as also is a cottage with a garden attached to it, left by Ann Corder, in 1591. The Town Estate consists of four tenements, built by the Marquis of Bristol, on the site of the Guildhall and Town House, and now let for 4 a year, which is distributed among the poor in coals; and 2a. 1r. of land, let for 3 a year, which is applied in apprenticing poor boys, and repairing the poor's cottages. Two lamb fairs were formerly held here, upon the Sheep green, but only one is now held, on Sept. 4th.
Bevan George, Esq.
Brooke Arthur John ,Esq. Brook House
Cooper William, corn & hay dealer
Dove John Fowler, Esq. Hopleys Cottage
Edwards John, carpenter and parish clerk
Edwards William, wheelwright, &c.
Game Benjamin, beer house keeper
Hall Rev. William, curate
Mison Samuel, victualler, Red House
Partridge Letitia, schoolmistress
Scarlin Jas. gent.
Read Mrs. Ann
Sturgeon Mrs. Ann
Tayler James, lime burner
Turner Thomas, land agent to the Marquis of Bristol, Little Horningsheath Hall
Wigson Wm. Bacon, Esq. Horsecroft
Wright James, schoolmaster
Wright John, shoemaker
BLACKSMITHS.
Farrant George
Pryke Thomas
FARMERS.
Bidwell Woodward, Great Hall
Chandler Henry
Gardiner William
Kemp John
Sturgeon John
Wigson William B., Shopkeepers.
Hammond My. A.
Smith Rose Ann
Tweed George
Tailors.
Cornell John
Sanders George



And Last updated on: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2016 22:13:32 BST