UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Ilketshall St Andrew, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Ilketshall Public Houses

ILKETSHALL ST. ANDREW in 1844,  4 miles S. E. of Bnngay, and S.W. by W. of Beccles, is a parish containing 548 souls, and 1696a. of strong loamy land. Its houses are scattered round the margins of several greens, lying east of the other Ilketshalls, and being, like them, in the Duke of Norfolk's Liberty. The soil belongs to William Adair, Esq., Lord George Beresford, Rev. J. Day, J. Garden, Esq., Rev. C. Clark, Thomas Farr, Esq., and several smaller owners. The Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient structure, on a commanding eminence. It is of flint and stone, and its tower is circular at the base, and octangular at the top. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 5. 13s. 4d., and in l835 at 139. It has 28a. of glebe, and a small parsonage, and is in the patronage of Bungay Grammar School, and incumbency of the Rev. John Gilbert. The rectorial tithes belong to Mrs. Ann Scott, and several of the principal landowners. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, of flint and white brick, erected in 1840. The Town Estate comprises a double cottage, and 2a of land, let for 11 10s. a year; and 7a. called Redisham Close, let for 10 a-year. One half of the rents is applied to the reparation of the church, and the remainder in defraying other public expenses of the parish.

Booker Anthony, tailor
Branch Mr John
Brighten Robert, shopkeeper
Cullum Stephen, butcher
Gardner Hannah, beerhouse keeper
Green David, corn miller
Green John, vict. Hare & Hounds
Hambling Ann, shopkeeper
Hambling Jeremiah, blacksmith & ironmonger
Haney Robert, blacksmith
High James, wheelwright
Howlett Benjamin, wheelwright
Hunting Chas. veterinary surgeon
Kemp James, shoemaker
Kemp Robert, parish clerk
Morris James, joiner
Oldring J. Shoemaker
Sayer Meshach, tailor & shopkeeper
Stanard Geo. bricklayer & shopkeeper
Turrell James, joiner
Wyatt William, beerhouse
FARMERS.
Adams George
Breese James
Burgess Thomas
Buskard William
Button Ephraim
Calver James
Chaston Robert
Clarke Samuel
Cullum William
Howlett Jonth.
Newby George
Nurse James
Phillips James
Sadd John
Salter John
Salter William
Tooke Peter
Turner Robert



And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 20:59:55 BST