Accurate transcriptions of the 1921 census are being added to the pub history site, starting with London.

Ilketshall St Margaret, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Ilketshall Public Houses

ILKETSHALL ST. MARGARET, 4 miles S. by E. of Bnngay, is a straggling village and parish, containing 315 souls, and 2090a. 2r. 16p. of land. William Adair, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Lady Beresford, Mr. J. G. Chaston, and several smaller owners. The Church is a small structure, with a tower and three bells, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 5. 13s. 9d., and in 1835 at 131. Mrs. Patteson is patroness and impropriator, and the Rev. Patrick Bassinghall Beath incumbent. The glebe is 15 acres. The tithes have been commuted for yearly moduses of 528 to the impropriator; 121 to the vicar; and 15 to the rector of Ilketshall St. John. The Town Estate, consisting of two tenements and 24a. of land, let for 28 a year, has been vested from an early period for the reparation of the church and other public uses. The poor have about 5 yearly, left by Henry Smith, in 1626, out of an estate at Tolleshunt-Darcy. in Essex. A limited number of the tenants of the four parishes of Ilketshall, have the privilege of pasturing a certain number of cattle on Stow Fen.
Baldry John, blacksmith
Clutton Oliver, shopkeeper
Collings Hy. horse breaker and victualler, Greyhound
Harvey Mrs Eliz. and Mrs Ann
Martin Jph. shoemaker and shopkeeper
Martin Thomas, shopkeeper
Masterson William, tailor

Andrews James
Adams James
Candler George jun.
Cutton Olivet
Dodd Joseph
Edwards James
Foyster Robert
Harvey James
Holden Samuel
Holden Joseph
King Henry
Ling Rachel
Martin Benjamin
Meddle John
Neal Thomas
Owles John
Pass John
Rope Mark
Spurgeon John
Wright John

And Last updated on: Thursday, 15-Dec-2022 23:56:28 GMT