UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Kedington, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Kedington Public Houses & Post Office Directory of 1865.

KEDINGTON in 1844, now corruptly called KETTON, is a large scattered village, near one of the tributary streams of the river Stour, 5 miles W.N.W. of Clare, and 2 1/2 miles E.N.E. of Haverhill. Its parish contains 2400 acres of fertile land, and 710 souls, of which about 806 acres and 82 souls are in Hinckford Hundred, Essex, and the remainder in Risbridge Hundred, Suffolk. At the Domesday survey, it was the lordship of Ralph Baynard; but being forfeited in the reign of Henry I., it was given to Richard Fitz-Gilbert, progenitor of the earls of Clare. It afterwards passed to the Barnardistons, who were long seated at the Hall, which was a large and handsome mansion, but was taken down many years ago. Sir Thomas Barnardiston, of Kedington, was created a baronet in 1663, hut the title has been many years extinct. In the reign of Queen Anne, two baronets of this family, Sir Samuel and Sir Thomas, sat at the same time in Parliament. This family is also remarkable for having given rise to the appellation of Roundhead, during the civil commotions in the reign of Charles I. "The London apprentices," says Rapin, "wore the hair of the head cut round; and the Queen, observing out of a window Samuel Barnardiston among them, cried out, 'See what a handsome round-head is there.'" Hence came the name, which was first publicly used by Captain Hyde. Kedington has a fair for pedlery, &c, on June 29tb. The parish is all freehold, and belongs to the Rev. B. B. Syer, Sir J. R. Rowley, Mr. B. Gooch, Mr. Hammond, the seven resident occupiers marked thus * in the subjoined list of farmers, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a neat structure, with a tower and five bells, and contains several monuments of the Barnardistons, of whom there are also some memorials in stained glass in the windows. The rectory is valued in K.B. at 16. 8s. 6d., and in 1835, at 498, but now having a yearly modus of 701. 18s., awarded in 1840, including the quota on the glebe (about 100a.,) and subject to rates and taxes. The Rev. B. B. Syer is patron and incumbent. The celebrated Archbishop Tillotson was rector here at the time of the Commonwealth. A farm of 34a. 3r. 34p., at Sturmer, in Essex, belongs jointly to the parishes of Sturmer and Kedington, and is vested in twelve feoffees, pursuant to ancient deeds, in trust to apply the rents and profits, in equal moieties, for the repairs of the churches, and the relief of the poor of the two parishes. It is let for 35 per annum, so that Kedington receives 17. 10s. yearly, and one moiety thereof is applied in the service of the church, and the other for educating and apprenticing poor children. About 3 acres, called Town Land and Rope Acre, are held by the churchwardens of Kedington for the repairs of the church, and are let for about 3. 10s. per annum. For the same purpose, they have three rent-charges, amounting to 25s. 4d. per annum, left by persons named Bateman, Fairelough, and an unknown donor. Thirteen poor widows of Kedington have divided among them, 4s. 3d. yearly, given by one Bateman, out of an estate here belonging to Mr. Mathew.
Bowyer Edward, butcher
Bowyer John, blacksmith
Bowyer James, pig jobber
Bowyer Samuel, pig jobber
Brook Thomas Barsham, registrar of births, deaths, and marriages, and relieving officer
Cornwell Frederick, shoemaker
Deeks James, wheelwright
Deeks Joseph, bricklayer
Diver John, wheelwright
Garwood John, blacksmith & beerhouse
Golding Henry, gentleman
Goodchild William, gent. Dane House
Ling John, shoemaker & victualler, Bell
Martin Thomas, baker
Pettit Wyatt John, cabinet maker
Price John, brewer and maltster
Price Charlotte, beer house
Price William P. victualler, Barnardiston Arms
Punchard Charles, corn miller, Water Mill
Syer Rev Barrington Bloomfield, Rectory
Syer Rev William Henry, curate
Farmers. (* are Owners.)
Bowyer Henry (and butcher)
*Chapman William
*Goodchild John (and maltster)
*Martin Joseph
*Price John
Price Walter
*Purkis Henry
*Rumball James (& corn miller)
*Rumball Robert
Teverson Henry
Shopkeepers.
Callow Thomas (and baker)
Cornwell Charles
Cornwell James, (& shoemaker)



And Last updated on: Friday, 01-Jul-2016 23:15:05 BST