Accurate transcriptions of the 1921 census are being added to the pub history site, starting with London.
Lackford, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Suffolk Villages Home Page |
Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds
|Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
Post Office Directory of 1865.
LACKFORD in 1844, is a small scattered village on the south side of the river
Lark, 6 miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 193 souls, and 2,200
acres of land. Though in Thingoe, it gives name to the adjoining Hundred. Its
name is no doubt a corruption of Lark-ford; but the river is now crossed here by
a good bridge, and is navigable from the Ouse to the vicinity of Bury. Sir
Charles Egleton Kent, Bart., of Grantham-House, Lincolnshire, is lord of the
manor, owner of the soil, and patron of the rectory, valued in K. B. at �19 10s.
5d., and in 1835, at �271, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Ellis Rogers. The
Church (St. Lawrence) is a small thatched fabric, and was in the patronage of
Bury Abbey. The poor parishioners have 1a. of land at Rattlesden, let for 20s.,
and purchased with �10 left by William Firmage, in 1599;- 5a. in the same
parish, let for �3 10s., and purchased with �30 left by the Rev. Edward Kirke,
in 1613; and the dividends of �153 6s. 8d. Old South Sea Annuities, given by
John Booty, in 1771. They have also �5 a year out of the manor of Lackford,
pursuant to the bequest of Lady Elizabeth Kitson. (See Hencrave). The income
from these sources is distributed among the poor parishioners in fuel. The
principal residents are the Rector, and John Muskett, farmer, Lackford Hall, and
Henry Roper, farmer, Brook Farm.