UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Langham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Post Office Directory of 1865.

LANGHAM, a pleasant village, 3 miles E. of Ixworth, has in its parish 293 souls, and 1,270a. of fertile land. Joseph Wilson, Esq., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Cricketotes, and lately by the Blakes, one of whom was created a baronet, in 1772, and resided at Langham Hall, a neat mansion, in a small park, now unoccupied. The present baronet resides with his son, at Great Barton Vicarage. The Church (St. Mary) is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 5 16s. 10d., and now having a yearly modus of 280, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Edward Thurlow is the incumbent. Mr. Wilson supports a school here for poor children. In 1630, John Jolly left 100 to be laid out in lands, the rents and profits thereof to be distributed among the poor of Langham, on Christmas-day and Midsummer-day. The legacy was laid out in the purchase of a house, occupied rent free, by poor persons, and 12a. 3b. 13p. of land, let for 11 12s. a year, and partly intermixed with land belonging to Mr. Booty. The Church Lands, &c, comprise a house, let for 2, and about 8a. of land, let for 11 15s. 6d. a year, and partly intermixed with land belonging to Sir J. Blake and other proprietors.
Directory -
George Morley, gardener;
Jas. Rosier, blacksmith;
Robert Sadler, shopkeeper;
Charlotte Tuck, schoolmistress;
and Henry Barfield, John Burrell, Hall;
Henry Golding, (Hillwater,)
and James Larter, farmers.


And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 22:48:28 BST