UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Mettingham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Mettingham Public Houses  & 1865 directory

METTINGHAM in 1844, is a pleasant village on the southern acclivity of the vale of the Waveney, 2 miles E. of Bungay, and 4 miles W. of Beccles, basin its parish 409 souls, and 1706a. 1R. 16p. of fertile land. About half a mile south of the church are the ruins of METTINGHAM CASTLE, which was of considerable extent and strength, and was built by John de Norwich, who, in the 17th of Edward Ill., obtained permission to convert his house here into a castle; in which he also founded a COLLEGE, to which he had the king's license to translate the priests from his college at Raveningham. This college was dedicated to God and the Blessed Virgin, and consisted of a master and thirteen chaplains or fellows, who were endowed with the castle for their residence, and with the manors of Mettingham, Bungay Soke, and several others in Suffolk and Norfolk. They educated and maintained a number of boys at the annual charge of 28. Richard Shelton, the master, and nine fellows, subscribed to the king's supremacy in 1635, but were allowed to remain till 1542, when their revenues were valued at 202. 7s. 5d. per annum, and their possessions were granted to Sir Anthony Denny. The founder died in 1363, and left his estates to his grandson, whose cousin, Catherine de Brews, afterwards inherited, but having assumed the veil, her estates devolved to the Ufford family. After the dissolution of the college, Mettingham was purchased by the Buxton family, who sold it about 1660 to the Bacons, of whom it was purchased by the Hunts. From the latter, it descended to the Saffords In 1826, Samuel Safford, Esq., sold one moiety of his estates to Charles Day, Esq., of llketshall St. John. A great part of the parish of Mettingham belongs to various owners, and the remainder to the Rev. J. C. Safford, A.B., who is lord of the manor, impropriator of the rectory, and patron and incumbent of the vicarage, and has a neat modern mansion within the area of the castle ruins, pleasantly seated on a wellwooded lawn. From the remains of its shattered walls, the castle appears to have been an extensive quadrangular structure, of which the gate-house is still tolerably entire. The Church (All Saints) is an ancient fabric, with a round tower, and stands on a bold eminence overlooking the vale of the Waveney. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 6. 17s. 3d., and in 1835 at 140. The Town Estate is partly in Shipmeadow parish, and comprises a cottage, blacksmith's shop, 36a. of land, and two cattle-gates in Stow Fen. It is under the management of feoffees chosen by the parishioners, and has been vested from an early period for the payment of public charges of the parish, and the support of the poor. It is let for about 80 a year, of which a large portion is applied in the service of the church, and about 10 is distributed in coals among poor families.
Cock Chas. shoemaker & parish clerk
Dains Robert, wheelwright
Parrington Joseph, Esq.
Safford Rev Jag. Culling, A.B. Mettingham Castle
Spalding Thomas, gentleman
Warren Sidney, blacksmith

Farmers. (* are owners)
*Baley Jeremiah
Bezant Esther
Bird John
CluTton Sarah
* Culham Thomas
Dains Widow
* Draper George
Durrant Samuel
Peck Chas. Castle Farm
Scarlett Francis
Strange George Minns
Sutton John
* Tallent Ann J.
* Tallent John Packard
* Woods Mary


And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 22:36:43 BST