UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory, pub history site and World War One records of gallantry and casualties by surname, street or pub name; including early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London. This site justs get more interesting.

Monks Eleigh, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Monks Eleigh, Babergh Hundred

Google maps of the Babergh Hundred show the following places:

View this Map in a browser

Monks Eleigh is covered by the Cosford database

MONKS ELEIGH in 1844, is a pleasant and well-built village, in the vale of the river Brett, nearly 6 miles N.W. of Hadleigh, and 2 miles S.W. of Bildeston. Its parish is a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and contains 732 souls, and 2099 acres of fertile land. On the river are two corn mills, and in the village is a good inn, and several well-stocked shops. The manor was given, with Hadleigh, to the monks of Canterbury, by Brithnoth, Earl of Essex, who was killed by the Danes in 991. After the dissolution, it was given to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, to whom it still belongs; but the soil belongs to Isaac Strutt, Thomas Brown, and Charles Dawson, Esqrs.; Miss Margaret Blair, Mrs. Hicks, Mr. J. Making, Mr. S. S. Baker, and a few smaller free and copyholders. The Church (St. Peter) is a large and handsome structure, with a tower containing six bells, and surmounted by a small wooden spire. The interior was thoroughly repaired in 1838, and most of the sittings are free. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 13. 18s. 11d., and in 1835, at 422, has 16 acres of glebe, a good residence, and a yearly modus of 570, awarded in 1837. The Archbishop of Canterbury is patron, and the Rev. Henry Carrington, M.A., incumbent. The Church Land, 2 1/2 acres, anciently appropriated to the repairs of the parish clock, is let for about 6 a year, which is carried to the churchwarden's account. The sums of 10, given by Francis Causton, and 20 given by the Rev. William Moore, for bread for the poor, were laid out in 1717 in the purchase of Butt-field, 24A., which was conveyed, together with two cottages belonging to the poor, to trustees, for distributions of bread on Ash-Wednesday and Christmas-day, among the necessitous parishioners frequenting the church. The cottages are occupied rent-free, and the land is let for 4.10s. a year. Here is a National School, built in 1834, and the shoolmistress has the use of part of the old workhouse, which was divided into three tenements in 1838.
Baker Samuel Scott, veterinary surgeon, and shoeing smith
Baldwin Philip, tanner
Brentford Wm. blacksmith
Carrington Rev Hy. M.A. Rectory
Clarke Edmund William West, parish clerk
Clarke Mary, schoolmistress
Clover Thomas, corn miller
Deaves Samuel, castrator
Fuller Edmund, beerhouse keeper
Gage Wm. butcher & cattle dealer
Garnham Henry, spirit merchant & victualler, Red Lion
Harris John, corn miller
Hawkins Robert, ironmonger


Monks Eleigh Public Houses & 1865 directory



And Last updated on: Saturday, 02-Dec-2017 19:25:25 GMT