Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.

Moulton, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Moulton Public Houses

MOULTON in 1844, is a neat village, on the banks of a rivulet, 3 1/2 miles E. of Newmarket, and 10 miles W. of Bury, has in its parish 379 souls, and 3073a. 1r. 17p. of sandy land. It is a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury, under the jurisdiction of the Dean of Bocking. John Agnerus had a grant for a market here, in the 26th of Edward I. The manor afterwards passed to the Chyverston, Lutterell, and other families. It is now held by the Duke of Rutland; but a great part of the soil belongs to Trinity Hall, Cambridge; H. aud E. Hammond, Esqs.; W. Webber, Esq., of Fidget Hall; Mr. W. Davison, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Peter) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells; and the benefice is a rectory and vicarage united, valued in 1835 at 477, and in K.B., the former at 13. 6s. 8d., and the latter at 4. 7s. 8d. About 20 years ago, the Rev. Edward Wilson endowed it with a farm of 217a. 2h. 8p.; besides which it has 169a. 2n. 14p. of glebe. The open fields, &c, were enclosed in 1839; and in 1840, the tithes were commuted for a yearly modus of 397.10s., including the quota on the rectorial land. The patronage is in Christ College, Cambridge; and the Rev. G. H. Greenall, M.A., is the incumbent. Here is a small Independent Chapel, built about 16 years ago. On Folly Heath, is an ancient pyramidal building, which may be seen at the distance of 20 miles, and is said to have been built by one of the Earls of Orford. Moulton Town Estate is vested with the churchwardens, for the reparation of the church and bridges of the parish, and consists of 4a. at Freckenham, let for 10 a year; and 13a. in the open fields of Moulton, let for 9 a year. The poor parishioners have 5a. at Newmarket, called Fuel Land, and let for 20 a year to Mr. Crockford, forming part of his garden and pleasure-grounds. The donor is unknown, and the rent is distributed in money or turf among poor families. In 1755, Mr. Worthington left 12 for the poor, and it is vested with the rector, at interest of 10s. per annum. In the 35th of Elizabeth, William Deynes left a farm of 75a. 2r. 20p. at Cowling, in trust for the relief of the needy poor of Moulton, Barrow, Cowling, and Margrave. It is now let for about 80 a year, of which each of the four parishes receives 20 for distribution among the poor. A yearly rent-charge of 7s 6d., called Herring money, is paid out of an estate belonging to E. Hammond, Esq., and distributed among the poor of Moulton; but the donor is unknown.
Bailey James, shoemaker
Barnes William, shopkeeper
Fyson Richard, shopkeeper
Goer William, gentleman
Greenall Rev. George Hutton, M.A. Rectory
Leach Reuben, tailor
Monle Joseph, shoemaker
Poulter James, blacksmith
Tweed Benj. carpenter and victualler, Kings Head
Watt Rev. Robert, M.A. curate
Webber William, Esq, Fidget Hall
Wellsman John, maltster
Fletcher John
Gardner Thomas, French Hall
Hammond Ellen, Heath
Holder James, Moulton End
Staples Won. Moulton Hall
Woods John, Trinity Hall Farm

And Last updated on: Thursday, 15-Dec-2022 23:58:04 GMT