UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Nowton, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Post Office Directory of 1865.

Google maps of Nowton in the Thingoe Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Nowton, a small village, pleasantly situated on an eminence, 2 miles S. by E. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 159 inhabitants, and 1,320 acres of land, exclusive of a portion of Horsecroft hamlet, which is mostly in Horningsheath parish. H. J. Oakes, Esq., of Nowton Court, (a large handsome mansion), is lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to the Marquis of Bristol, and a few small owners. The Church (St. Peter) is a neat structure with six bells, and was enlarged and repewed in 1843, at the cost of H. J. Oakes, Esq. Two of its windows are beautifully decorated with stained glass. The rectory, valued in K. B. at 5 19s. 4d., and in 1835, at 314, is in the patronage of the Marquis of Bristol, and incumbency of the Rev. M. Wilkinson, for whom the Rev. H. A. Oakes, of Rougham, officiates. Mrs. Oakes supports a small school here for the instruction of poor children; and the parish has 2a. of Poor's Land in Bury Field, purchased with 20 benefaction money, and now let for 2 14s. a year. Directory:
Maria Blomfield, schoolmistress;
John Brewer, gamekeeper;
Robert Buck, farmer, Newton Hall;
Joseph De Carle, registrar & relieving officer;
Isaac Hynard, shopkeeper;
William Marshall, farmer;
Henry James Oakes, Esq., banker, Nowton Court;
& Mrs. Martha Vardy.


And Last updated on: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2016 22:35:28 BST