Accurate transcriptions of the 1921 census are being added to the pub history site, starting with London.

Ousden, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Ousden Public Houses & 1865 directory

OUSDEN in 1844, is a scattered village, 7 miles S.E. by E. of Newmarket, and 10 miles W.S.W. of Bury, has in its parish 340 souls, and 1490 acres of land, having a fertile mixed soil. Ousden Hall, a handsome mansion, with pleasant grounds, is the seat of T. J. Ireland, Esq., the lord of the manor, and owner of nearly all the soil. The Church (St. Peter) is a small structure, with a tower and five bells ; and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 10. 3s. 9d., and in 1835 at 285. T. J. Ireland, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. C. H. Bennet incumbent. The tithes were commuted at the enclosure, about 25 years ago, for an allotment of 350 acres. The Moseleys were formerly seated here, and were lords of the manor, which was held by the late Rev. J. T. Hand. The Town Estate consists of a cottage, called the Town House, occupied rentfree by poor persons; and about 3a. of land, let for 4. 10s. a year, which is applied in the service of the church. In 1593, (William. Deynes left a yearly rent-charge of 13s. 4d. out of land at Barrow, for the poor of Ousden. In 1743, Richard Moseley charged a farm here with the yearly payment of 10, for schooling 20 poor children of this parish.
Anderson Isaac, boarding school
Bennet Rev Chpr. Hand, Rectory
Clarke John, gentleman
Cruthe William. shopkeeper
Everitt Thomas, shoemaker
Goldstone Hannah, schoolmistress
Hoy George, tailor and draper
Ireland Thomas Jas. Esq. Ousden Hall
Moore Mrs. corn miller
Peachey Robert, blacksmith
Reynolds William, victualler, Fox
Seagrott William, gamekeeper
Tweed William, wheelwright
Woollard Thomas, (Miller)
Andrews Thomas
Jillings William
Suape Reuben

And Last updated on: Thursday, 15-Dec-2022 23:58:26 GMT