UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

History of Suffolk - Palgrave

Palgrave Public Houses

Palgrave 1865 Post Office Directory

PALGRAVE is a pleasant village and parish on an acclivity, in Hartismere hundred, union, and rural deanery, Suffolk archdeaconry, county court district of Eye, and Norwich diocese, West Suffolk, one mile south from Diss station, and 4 north-west from Eye. The church of St. Peter is an ancient structure, with square tower containing a peal of 6 bells, a nave, chancel, with porch, within which are deposited the remains of the late Thomas Martin, Esq., the antiquarian: there are also several monuments in the interior to the memory of the Harrison family, residents here: the whole church has been restored and enlarged by the addition of an aisle, under the auspices of the Rev. Charles Martyn, the late rector. The register commences in 1500. The living is a rectory, valued at £400 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison, Bart., M.P., and held by the Rev. James William Campbell, M.A.,of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides here. There is also a National school, erected in 1853 by the late rector. Near the village is St. John's, the seat of Miss Harrison, a neat mansion, with park, shrubberies, &c.; also near the church is The Priory, the residence of the Rev. Charles John Martyn. Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor. The population in 1861 was 739, and the area is 1,474 acres; the gross rental is £3,500, and the rateable value £2,978.
Parish Clerk, Benjamin Firman.
Letters received through Diss by foot post. There is a wall letter box, near the Swan inn, cleared at 7 p.m. on week days & 11.45 a.m. on Sundays. The nearest money order office & post office savings bank is at Diss
Assistant Overseer, William Rix
National School, William Robert Austiss, master

Campbell Rev. James William, M.A. [rector], The Parsonage
Haines Philip, esq
Harrison Miss, St. John's
Howe Mr. Martin, Burlington lodge
Knevett Mr. William
Male Rev. Robert, Holly cottage
Martyn Rev. Charles John, The Priory

COMMERCIAL.
Bond George, shopkeeper
Brookes James, maltster & farmer
Brookes William, millwright
Bryant John, farmer
Bumpsted Robert, baker & shopkeeper
Canham Robert, butcher
Crane Levi, farmer
Crawford Benjamin, Lion
Edwards Thomas, farmer & landowner
Ford George, carpenter
Ford William, coal dealer
Gooch Robert, miller
Goold Philip, tailor
Goold William, boot & shoe maker
Howe Martin, farmer
Howe Robert Stimpson, maltster
Howell George, blacksmith
Humphrey William, plumber & glazier
Hunt James, Swan
Long Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Moore John, boot & shoe maker
Musk Philip, farmer
Potter James, boot & shoe maker
Pretty William, farmer
Rix Wm. farmer & assistant overseer
Ruffles Thomas, bricklayer
Ship Sophia (Miss), seed dealer
Stevenson Fanny (Mrs.), tobacconist
Thurlow James, coal dealer
Thurlow Samuel, miller
Thyne Daniel, school
Weavers Charles, carpenter
Webb John, cattle dealer



And Last updated on: Saturday, 05-Nov-2016 18:18:31 GMT