UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Preston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Preston Babergh Hundred

Google maps of the Babergh Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Preston Public Houses

Preston 1865 Post Office Directory

PRESTON is a village and parish, in Babergh hundred, Cosford union, Sudbury county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, 9 miles north-east from Sudbury station, and 2 east-by-north from Lavenham. The church of St. Mary is in ruins, the tower having fallen in 1863. The living is a rectory, annual value 520, with residence, in the gilt of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and held by the Bev. H. G. Williams, B.D. The parish is comprised in four manors, of which Sir B. C. Brodie, Bart., Mr. William Making, and Mr. John Wright are lords. The annual value of the charities is 8 10s. In the parish is a neat National school, erected in 1843. The population in 1861 was 348, and the area is 1,931 acres.
Parish Clerk, Joseph Stribling.
Letters arrive from Bildestone. Lavenham is the nearest money order office
National School, Miss Rosetta Lovcgrove, mistress

Williams Rev. Henry Griffin, B.D. [rector]
Alderton Henry, beer retailer
Ainos Joshua, carpenter
Bear Robert, miller
Edgar Edmund, farmer, Hill farm
Edgar Johnson, farmer
Gayford George, farmer
King Joseph, boot & shoemaker
King Thomas, farmer, Rushbrook farm
Making Frederick, farmer
Making William, farmer
Sach Robert, farmer & miller
Sewcll James, Six Bells
Spraggons Rufft-1. farmer
Stribling John, blacksmith
Thurston Thomas, farmer
Wright John, farmer


And Last updated on: Saturday, 05-Nov-2016 18:26:35 GMT