I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Reed, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Reed in 1865

REDE, or Reed in 1844, is a village and parish, near the source of a rivulet, 7 miles S. S.W. of Bury, contains 241 souls, and about 1,300 acres of land. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to the Rev. H. Hasted, Mr. Thomas Murrills, and a few smaller owners. The Church (All Saints) is a small edifice with a tower and three bells. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K. B. at 2 18s. ld., and now having a yearly modus of 286, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. John Latey is the incumbent, for whom the Rev. Henry Mears officiates. As noticed with Hawstead, the poor of Rede have 3 a year from Sir Robert Drury's Charity, and one of the poor parishioners is placed in the almshouse at Hawstead, and has a yearly stipend of 5. They have also 1 3s. 4d. yearly, in three rent charges, left by Robert Sparrowe, Samuel Bird, and R. Kedingtoii. In 1721, Thomas Sparke left 11a. of land called Great and Little Stubbing, in trust, to apply the rents in schooling poor children of Rede, and in buying them books. This land is copyhold of the manor of Brockley Hall, and is let for 12 a year, but is subject to a quit-rent of 1 10s. 1d. The rent is applied towards the support of a National School, to which about 7 a year is paid from the Hon. William Hervey's Charity. (See Chedburgh.) A new school room was built by subscription in 1843.
Eliot Samuel,shopkeeper
Fayers Ann, schoolmistress
Frost Charles, blacksmith
Paxman Robert, wheelwright

FARMERS. (* are Owners)
* Eliot John
Evered Joseph
Fayers George
* Murrills Thomas, Downiags
Pearson Isaac & Thomas. Pickards Hall
Rollineon George, Kell Farm
Rollinson John, Rede Hall



And Last updated on: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2016 22:40:11 BST