London street directory and Pub history research

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Risby, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Post Office Directory of 1865.


Google maps of Risby in the Thingoe Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

RISBY in 1844, is a small village, pleasantly situated nearly 4 miles W. by N. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 360 souls, and 2,620 acres of land, having a light mixed soil. Edward the Confessor gave the manor of Risby to Bury Abbey, and it was granted in the 31st of Henry VIII., to Sir Thos. Kitson. Sir Thomas Gage is now lord of the manor, but part of the parish belongs to the Rev. J. D. Wastel, J. Cottingham, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The Church, (St. Giles) is a small ancient structure, with a round tower, and a curiously carved screen. It was new pewed and repaired in 1842, at the cost of 260; and a new vestry was built in 1843. The rectory, valued in KB. at 19 10s. 5d, and in 1835, at 750, with that of Fornham St-Genevieve consolidated with it, is in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. S. H. Alderson, M.A., who has a commodious Rectory House, built in 1839. The tithes of Risby were commuted in 1839 for 575 6s. 8d. per annum, and those of Fornham-St-Genevieve, for 140. Risby Poor's Estate consists of a house and 19a. of land at Needham-street, in Gazeley, let for 14 12s. a year. It was given before the reign of Henry VIII., for the purpose of easing the poor parishioners of the town charges, &c. that might be imposed upon them. For many years, no part of the rent has been applied to the payment of taxes, but the whole has been distributed yearly among the poor; who have also 1 13s. 6d. yearly from land purchased with 10 given by William Firmage, in 1599; 2 a year from Lady Kitson's Charity, (see Hengrave ; 8 10s. 4d. yearly from 212 19s. Id. new four per cent. Annuities, purchased with 200 left by Launcelot Danby, in 1812; and 1 16s. lOd. a year from 61 10s. 9d. three per cent.Consols, purchased with 50 left by John Spink, in 1822. Directory
Rev. Samuel Hurry Alderson, Rectory;
William Adkin and Zach. Fenton, shopkeepers;
William and Thomas Orrage, blacksmiths;
Hannah Smith, beerseller;
George Smith, bricklayer;
Mrs. Amy Sutton ;
Rev. John Daniel Wastel;
William Cook, farmer, Risby Hall;
John Cottingham, farmer, Risby Place
Robert Kemball, farmer;
and John Denton Paine, farmer, Quays.

 


And Last updated on: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2016 22:42:27 BST