London street directory and Pub history research

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Sapiston, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Post Office Directory of 1865.

SAPISTON in 1844, is a small scattered village, in the vale of the southern Thet, 3 miles N. by W. of Ixworth, has in its parish 255 souls, and 1,155 acres of fertile land, all the property and manor of the Duke of Grafton. At the Domesday Survey, it was the lordship of Gilbert de Bland, who gave it to the priory which he founded at Ixworth. After the Dissolution, it was granted to Richard and Elizabeth Codington. Robert Bloomfield, the poet, commenced his career here as a farmer's boy. The Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient thatched fabric. The Duke of Grafton is impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which is valued at 78, and enjoyed by the Rev. G. S. Barrow. The Duke built a National School here, in 1841, and it is now attended by about 50 poor children.
Balam Joseph. carrier toBuiy, wed & sat.
Crich Jeffery, victualler, George
Jacob Edmund, corn miller
Major William, blacksmith
Mayes George, gamekeeper
Prigg Mary Ann, schoolmistress
FARMERS.
Crich Jeffery, (and cattle dealer)
Farrow John Ray, Triangle farm
Farrow John, Grove farm
Gates John, Sapiston Grange




And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 23:20:47 BST