Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
Post Office Directory of 1865.
SHADINGFIELD in 1844, is a scattered village, with several
neat houses, on the turnpike, 4 1/2 miles S. of Beccles, and 6 miles N.E. by N.
of Halesworth, has in its parish 177 souls, and 1369a. 2r. 9p. of land. John
Garden, Esq., is lord of the manor, which he purchased of the late Robert
Sparrow, Esq.; bul a great part of the soil belongs to the Scott, Peirson,
Leman, Farr, Barne, Atkinson, and a few other families. Shadingfield Hall, a
large white brick mansion, with wellwooded grounds, is the seat of Thomas
Charles Scott, Esq., and was long the residence of the Cuddon family, who sold
it in the latter part of last century. The Church (St. John) has a lofty tower,
and neurit is a small parsonage house, and 7i acres of glebe. The benefice is a
discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at .£12, and now having a yearly modus of
.£303. 5s. in lieu of tithes. Lord Brayhrooke is patron, and the Rev. C. T.
Scott, B.A., incumbent. The latter supports a school for 30 poor children.
Bradley Benj. blacksmith
Chapman Edward, joiner
Chipperfield James, tailor
Coleby Joseph, shoemkr. (Post Office. Letters, desp. 1/2 past 6 evening)
Cottingham Lionel, gent
Lewis John, hoop & hurdle maker
Nunn James, schoolmaster
Peirson Charles, corn miller
Peirson John Bliss, gent
Scott Rev Chas. Thos. B.A. rector; and Thomas Chas. Esq. Shadingfield Hall
Clarke William, Church farm
Oswald Robert, jun. White House
Sadd Thomas, West End House
Scarff William, South House