UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Shipmeadow, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Post Office Directory of 1865.

SHIPMEADOW in 1844, is a scattered village in the vale of the river Waveney, 3 miles E. of Bungay and W. of Beccles, has in its parish about 800 acres of land, and had 265 inhabitants in 1841, including 133 inmates in the Wangford Union workhouse, which is situated here. R. A. Suckling, Esq., is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to several smaller proprietors. The copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines. The Hall, a small neat house occupied by the curate, is the property of the Misses Draper. The Church (St. Bartholomew) stands on an eminence overlooking the vale, and has a thatched nave and short tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 10, and in 1835 at 214. The patronage is in certain Trustees, and the Rev. J. C. Badeley, L.L B., of Halesworth, is the incumbent. Here are about 28 acres of glebe, but no parsonage house. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for a yearly modus of 220. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 10s., left by Francis Wormall, in 1709.
Balls Thomas, governor, Union House
Barber Jonathan, joiner
Cherry thomas, shoemaker
Crickmer Mrs Isabella
Culluam Charles, shopkeeper
Herschell Rev Jno Fras, curate, Hall
Mills Phoebe, shopkeeper
West William, shopkeeper
Farmers (* are owners)
* Derry James
Jex john
* Haughton George
Johnson Samuel
Salter William
* Tiptod William, beerhouse


And Last updated on: Monday, 27-Jun-2016 23:53:31 BST