London street directory and Pub history research

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

South Elmham St Cross, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Public houses in South Elmham

SOUTHELMHAM ST. CROSS, or ST. GEORGE, alias SANCROFT in 1844, is a pleasant scattered village, on an acclivity on the south side of the vale of the Waveney, 5 miles S.W. by S. of Bungay, and 4 miles E. of Harleston. Its parish contains 258 souls, and 1300a. 2r. 7p of land. William Adair, Esq is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. The manor of all the Southelmhams was formerly held by the Bishops of Norwich, and the ancient family of Sancroft had an estate here of their own name. The Church is a small ancient structure, with a tower and four bells, and was repaired and repewed in 1841, when a new gallery was erected, and 107 additional sittings provided, and appropriated to the free use of the poor. The organ was presented in the same year, by Mrs. Mary Chaston. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 10, is consolidated with that of Homersfield. The tithes of the two parishes have been commuted for 363 10s. per annum, and the incumbent has here 25a. of glebe, and a good Rectory House, built in 1834, at the cost of about 1000.
Bruce Rev. Courtenay Boyle, B.A. rector
Chenery William, wheelwright
Fountain Henry, blacksmith
Ling John, cow leech and victualler, Fox and Hounds
Squires William, corn miller

FARMERS.
Borrett George
Danby Daniel
Moore Joshua
Robinson Isaac
Smith John
Sadd Jacob
Shearing William (and land surveyor)
Squires Noah


And Last updated on: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2016 00:19:55 BST