Accurate transcriptions of the 1921 census are being added to the pub history site, starting with London.
Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
Public houses in Spexhall
SPEXHALL in 1844, is 2 miles N. by W. of Halesworth, is a
scattered village and parish containing 215 souls, and 1482 acres of land,
rising in bold acclivities from one of the tributary streams of the Blythe. The
principal proprietors are, Mr. Jas. Garrould, (owner of the Hall and Grove
farms,) William Long, Esq., Sir E. Kerrison, Thomas Morse, Esq., and Mr. Garrard.
The Poor's Land, given by an unknown donor, consists of 5 acres at Holton, let
for £13. 10s. The Church (St. Peter) is a small ancient structure, and the
benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £14, and now having 45 acres
of glebe, and a yearly modus of £297. 15s. in lieu of tithes. The patronage is
in the Crown, and the Rev. Richard Cruttwell, L.L.B., is the incumbent, and is
known for his writings on the currency, "equal adjustment," &c. The other
principal inhabitants are David Reynolds, victualler,
Huntsman and Hounds; Robert Woolnough,
blacksmith; and Samuel Cady, Henry B. Coates, William Covell, James Drake, James
Garrould, Grove; William Garrould, Spexhall Hall; Henry Girling, George Long,
Eliz. More, Widow Noller, and Jonth. Palmer, farmers.