I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Stansfield, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Stansfield Public Houses

STANSFIELD in 1844, is a pleasant village, near a small rivulet, 5 1/2 miles N. by E. of Clare, has in its parish 510 souls, and 1850 acres of freehold land, including the hamlet of Assington Green, and many scattered houses. The lordship is in the Crown, but the soils belongs to G. W. Poley, Esq., J. and W. Sworde, Esqrs., S. Ware, Esq., Dr. Probart, Rev. N. Colvile, and the Cooper, Pratt, Everard, Pigott, Rutter, Taber, Bridgman, and other families. The Kedingtons were formerly seated here. The Church (All Saints) is a neat structure, with a tower and five bells, and the benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 10. 9s. 4d., and in 1835 at 395. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. John Maddy, D.D., of Somerton, is the incumbent. The glebe is 76a., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for a yearly modus of 500. Here is a neat Independent Chapel, with a house for the minister, erected in 1833 at the cost of 850. The chapel was built by subscription, and the house at the cost of the minister, the Rev. John Rutter. Day and Sunday Schools are attached to the church and the chapel. The Church Land, about 2a., is let for 8 a year. The poor parishioners have the following yearly doles, viz., 20s. out of Cordell Hall, given by Robert Kedington and others; 13s. 4d. from Anthony Sparrow's Charity, (see Wickhambrook;) 6s. 8d. given by an unknown donor out of Cook's Farm; and about 2. 12s. from a double cottage, given by the Rev. R. Shaw for the use of poor widows.
Carter Henry, watch maker
Claydon John, shopkeeper
Cornell John, wheelwright & beerhouse keeper
Frost Thomas, beer seller
Golding William, shoemaker
Gridley Daniel, shopkeeper and carrier to Bury, Wed.
Maddy Rev Joseph, M.A. curate, Rectory
Powles Mary, schoolmistress
Rannow John, grocer and draper
Ransom William, blacksmith
Rotter Rev. John, (Independent)
Sargeant Mary, schoolmistress
Spurling John, wheelwright
Webb Edward Hy. victualler & shoemaker
Webb Thomas, blacksmith

FARMERS.
Balls John, Assington Green
Bridgman James, (owner)
Dunning Benjamin
Everard William, (& miller) Church cot.
Granger William, Hole farm
Pratt John, (owner,) Purton Hall
Prewer John, Assingfon Green l
Foreman John, (bailiff,) Gatesbury
Rutter John, Raymond's farm
Sargeant Joseph, Arlington Green
Slater Martin, Cordell Hal
Spencer Eobert, Stansfietd Hall
Woolard John


And Last updated on: Saturday, 02-Jul-2016 00:20:29 BST