I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Stanton, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Stanton Public Houses

STANTON-All-Saints, and St. John the Baptist in 1844, are two adjoining villages and united parishes, pleasantly situated on the Norwich road, 9 miles N.E. by E. of Bury St. Edmund's, and 3 miles N.E.of Ixworth, and containing 1,029 inhabitants, 3,254 acres of fertile land,the small hamlet of Upthorpe,1 1/2 mile S.E., and several scattered farm houses. Though there are still two churches, Stanton may be considered as one well built village, in which are several good Inns, retail shops, and corn mills. It has a fair for pleasure and pedlery on Whitmonday. Edward the Confessor gave the manor and advowson of All Saints to Bury Abbey, and they were granted in the 31st of Henry VIII., to Sir Thomas Jermyn, Kt. The two rectories were consolidated in l457, and since the reign of Elizabeth, the two parishes have maintained their poor conjointly. R. E. Lofft, Esq. is now lord of the manor, and owns a great part of the soil, but Mrs. Vautier owns Stanton Park, now a large farm, half a mile S. of the village, and here are several smaller owners. All Saints and St. John's Churches are neat structures, and each has a tower and four bells. The consolidated rectories are discharged from the payment of first fruits and tenths, and rated in K.B., the former at 9 6s. Od., and the latter at 9 4s. 9i
d. R. E. Lofft, Esq. is patron, and the Rev. George Bidwell is the incumbent, and has a commodious residence, and a yearly modus of 977 2s. 7d., awarded in 1839 The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1839. The Church Land, about 12 a., let for 20 a year, is vested in trust, for repairing and maintaining the two churches. The Town House, purchased in 1779, is occupied by poor people, rent free, as also is a cottage and small piece of land, given to the parish, in 1813, by Phillis Clarke, in consideration of the relief afforded her from the poor rates. For a yearly distribution among the poor, Catherine Tricker, in 1605, left 20, and it was laid out in the purchase of an acre of land, now let for 2 per annum. The sum of 10 left to the poor, by William Firmage, in 1611, was laid out in the purchase of 1a. 2r. 32p. of land, at Rattlesden, now let for 1 11s. a year. The Poor's Allotment comprises 54a. awarded at the enclosure of the commons, and now let for about 90 a year, which is distributed among poor parishioners, in coals.
[blocks in formation]
Baker Thomas, parish clerk
Bidwell Rev George, Rectory
Bowen John, gentleman
Clarke Susan, collar & harness maker
Coke William, victualler, Rose & Crown
Green George, gardener
Howe Mr Robert
Jarman Mrs Sarah
Miller John, maltster
Oxborrow Sheppard, farrier
Robinson Benj, victualler, Cock Inn
Sturgeon Thomas, gamekeeper
Youngman, victualler, George Inn
Beer Houses
Brewington John
Davey Thomas
Sturgeon John
Academies (* take Boarders)
* Howe Miss S
* Kent Miss E
* Raynham Thomas
Sturgeon Henry
Nakers.
Baker George M
Cutting Samuel
Davey Thomas
Blacksmiths.
Brewington John
Calver George
Hayward henry
Boot & Sho Makers.
Blishard William
Johnson William
Luca William
Sare Jonathan
Bricklayers.
Fordham Robert
Millican Pettit
Millican Philip
CArpenters etc.
Hailstone Henry
Pooley Thomas (& lime burner)
Corn Millers.
Markham John
Rollinson George
Trudgett William
Wells Samuel
FARMERS. (* are at Upthorpe)
*Avey Thomas
Baker Thomas
"Bradley Francis
Bradley Robert
* Chapman Rt.
Cobb Charles
Downing Robert
Easlea William, Dale Farm
Harrison Jonthn
Howe John
Howe Robert
Marsh Thomas
Pooley Thomas
Ruse Mrs., Hall
Spalding Abhm.
Stebbing James
Taylor Daniel, Wrens-Hall
Taylor William, Manor House.
Woodard John, Stanton Park
Grocers and Drapers.
Farrow John
Fisk Edmund (& tailor.)
Keeble Jonaa
Kent Mary
Kinsey Henry, (and tailor)
Taylor Baker
SURGEONS.
Kent Jas. Hy.
Kent John
Wheelwrights.
Good David
Nickerson John
CARRIER. David Beeton, to Bury, Wed & Sat.
Post to Ixworth. Edm.Carman, at 6 morning. & evening



And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 23:34:55 BST