Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z
STOVEN in 1844, is a small scattered village and parish, 5
miles N.E. by E. of Halesworth, has 127 souls, and 762a. 1r. 31 P. of land,
mostly freehold. Earl Stradbroke is lord of the manor, but a great part of the
soil belongs to Mrs. Bevan, Mrs. Button, T. Norton, Frederick Barne, Esq., and a
few smaller owners. The Church (St. Margaret) was appropriated to Wangford
Priory, and at the dissolution, the rectory was granted to the Duke of Norfolk.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1835 at £69. The Rev. George
Orgill Leman, M.A., of Brampton Hall, is impropriator, patron, and incumbent,
and has a yearly modus of £200 in lieu of tithes. A cottage, called the Town
House, let to three tenants for £6. 6s. per annum; and about 2 acres of land,
let for £2. 5s., have been held by the churchwardens from time immemorial for
the relief of the poor. Directory:—John Davy, joiner; Mr. Thomas Gooch ; William
Vinyard, victualler, Cherry Tree; and Edward
Andrews, Martin Gooch Button, William Eastaugh, Robert Gooch, John Rockhill, and
Edgar Smith, farmers.