UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Dalham, Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Stradishall Public Houses

STRADISHALL in 1844, is a pleasant village near the source of a rivulet, 5 1/2 miles N.W. of Clare, has in its parish 379 souls, and 1400 acres of strong clayey land, mostly belonging to and occupied by William Rayner, Esq., of Stradishall Place, a neat mansion near the church. The remainder belongs to Misses Walpole, and Messrs. Joseph Cooke, J. W. Dennis, and Joseph Wallis. The Church (St. Margaret) is an ancient fabric, with a tower and five bells; and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 9. 11s., and now having 52a. of glebe, and a yearly modus of 400, awarded in 1840. Sir R. Harland is patron ; and the Rev. Charles Jenkin, D.D., incumbent. The old Workhouse was converted into a Wesleyan Chapel, in 1843, at the expense of W. Rayner, Esq. In 1573, John Hoult left a house for the residence of two of the poorest men and women of Stradishall, and charged his mansion-house with the yearly payment of 3 for distribution among the occupants of the said house, and the other poor of the parish. By a decree of the Court of Chancery, for establishing this charity, in the 26th of Elizabeth, it was ordered that the inmates of the almshouse should be appointed by six of the principal parishioners, and that 33, being the amount of eleven years' arrears of the annuity, should be laid out in land, the rents thereof to be bestowed in the repairs of the almshouse, and the relief of the poor parishioners. This sum of 33 was laid out, with 20 given to the poor by Ann Smythe, in the purchase of 5a. 2r. cf land, at Wickhambrook, now let for 7 a year, which is distributed in bread or money. The almshouse fell down about 1813, and the annuity of 3 was suffered to accumulate till a few years ago, for the purpose of rebuilding it. For the support of a workhouse, this parish has 10 a year from Vernon's Charity. (See Hundon.)
Chapman John, shopkeeper
Clarke Joseph, shopkeeper
Cooke Joseph, Moat Farm
Denniss James Wing, Hill Farm
Goodison Robert, farm steward
Ive William, wheelwright
Jenkin Rev. Charles, D.D. Rectory
Pettit James, tailor, Haw bush
Rayner Wm. Esq. Stradishall Place
Seabrook Richard, shoemaker
Seabrook Samuel, victualler, Fox & Hounds
Wallis Joseph, corn miller
Webb Thomas, maltster


And Last updated on: Saturday, 02-Jul-2016 00:39:55 BST