I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Sudborne Public Houses

SUDBORNE in 1874.
SUDBORNE, or Sudbourn, is a scattered village, 1 mile N. of Orford, in Plomesgate Union, and Woodbridge County Court district. Its parish has 532 inhabitants, and about 80 acres of water and 5349 acres of land, extending three miles northward, nearly to Aldborough, along the western side of the river Ore. It includes most of the Lantern Marshes and Orford-ness, on the opposite side of that river, bordering upon the ocean. The manor belonged to Ely Priory, and was granted by Edward VI. to the Bishop of Norwich, but it was soon afterwards possessed by Sir Michael Stanhope, who built the hall. Sir Edmund Withipole obtained it in marriage with Sir Michael's daughter, and his daughter and heiress carried it in marriage to Leicester Devereux, Viscount Hereford, from whom it passed to his son, whose Executors sold it in 1754 to an ancestor of the late and fourth Marquis of Hertford, who owned most of the parish, and died August, 1870, when he was succeeded by his kinsman, the Most Honourable Francis Hugh George Seymour, the present Marquis of Hertford, who sold the manor and estate here, in February, 1871, to Sir Richard Wallace, Bart. Mr. James Chaplin and some other proprietors have small estates in the parish: Sudborne Hall, the seat of Sir R. Wallace, is a plain quadrangular mansion, which was built about the year 1784, from designs by Wyatt. It stands in an extensive park, about a mile N.W. of Orford. It was used as a sporting residence by some of its later owners, on account of the park and the neighbourhood abounding in game. It was new faced with brick, and thoroughly restored, in 1872-3, when large pleasure grounds and flower gardens, extending over 20 acres, were laid out, conservatories, vineries, &c., built, kitchen gardens enlarged, and gas works for the use of the house erected, and other improvements effected. THE CHURCH (All Saints) is a small ancient structure, which was repaired about the year 1851. Sir R. Wallace, Bart., has presented the old hall organ to the church. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Orford annexed to it, valued in K.B. at 33. 0s. 8d., and in 1835 at 577, but the tithes were commuted in 1839 for about 500 per annum. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. John Maynard, M.A., is the incumbent, and has his residence at Orford. THE BAPTISTS have a chapel, erected on the common in 1863. The Church and Poor's Estate comprises about 60A. of marsh land, let for about 240 a year; and a yearly rent-charge of 6, secured and payable under the award of the commissioners for enclosing the common lands in this parish, in 1807. The income from these sources is applied mostly with the poor rates, and partly in the service of the church. A yearly sum of 9. 10s. from Sir M. Stanhope‘s charity, is distributed among the poor of Sudborne.

Post OFFICE at Mr. Francis Sawyers Letters arrive at 6.10 a.m. from, and are despatched at 7.20 p.m. to Wickham Market, but Orford is the nearest Money Order Office.

Artis Mr John, Sudborne lodge
Brinkley Henry, farmer
Brown James, wheelwright
Chaplin James, farmers & landowner, Cowton house
Clarke Herbert, farmer
Cutts George, farmer
Estaugh George & William, farmers, Church farm
Everett Francis Henry, farmer, Ferry farm
French Philip, farmer, Red house
Howard Robert, farm bailiff
Levett James, blacksmith
Lloyd William, head gamekeeper, Sudborne park
Maltster Samuel, farmer
Maynard Rev John, M.A. rector; h Orford
Moss Horace, farmer
Pottle John, head gardener, Sudborne park
Raymore George, shopkeeper
Rackham William, grocer and draper and victualler, Chequers
Rope Bichard Frederick, farmer, Sudborne lodge
Sawyer Francis, shopkeeper & postmaster
Sawyer Henry, farmer
Sewell Mrs Emma, farmer. Valley farm
Wallace Sir Richard, Bart. Sudborne hall
Whayman Mrs Elizabeth, farmer




And Last updated on: Sunday, 12-Jun-2016 23:31:17 BST